Growing more with less space

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Many of us in the city love the experience of growing, especially when we can produce something edible for the table. Unfortunately, we are restricted by the amount of space, and in some places, by ordinances. Finding a way to get more growing space can be challenging.

Aeroponic towers are expensive and a little complicated, and topsy turvey planters give you a little vertical space, but are only good for one plant. Hanging bags don't seem like much of a better option either, since they need something to hang from.

I came across a great idea that I think would give lots of space for lots of growing, depending on how much space you have:

tower_planter.JPG

The pyramid is meant for strawberries but I could easily see this filled with herbs, greens, and maybe even tomatoes.

Here's a small scale vertical planter that could also work:

38_sp.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cor, they're good Chanell.

Don't know if they'd last very long made out of softwood though, unless they've had clear preservative put on them, which i'd be hesitant to use for food production.

I'd give a hardwood version a go though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Cor, they're good Chanell.

Don't know if they'd last very long made out of softwood though, unless they've had clear preservative put on them, which i'd be hesitant to use for food production.

I'd give a hardwood version a go though.

If cedar being softwood isn't a good idea, why is it that so many outdoor items are made from cedar?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It all comes down to that Bobby Goldsboro song

"Cedar Tree how big its grown" :D

Apart from that, its cheap, Cedar & Pine will do you through a few seasons.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Cedar is cheap? I don't think that's the case in the U.S. I don't like the smell of pine and I wouldn't want to chance any pine oils getting into the soil. Isn't there some other garden issue with pine?

How about oak or cypress?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
There is a lot of oil in pine yes. Not sure its a bad thing though.

Oak is very good, don't have any experience with Cypress so I wouldn't like to comment:)

Reaction score
I have three of these clay chimney flues that I am going to use this spring. I was thinking of cutting a small hole or two on each side to be able to plant vining plants to grow out of or I might just use them as they are and fill them with dirt and grow something out of them. I was going to place them around the yard as I have 3 of them. I need to get them out of my job so why not make something out of them.

linermeasure5.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Try poplar. I made my bridge out of it since cedar is quite costly. Around here they also use poplar for fences.

Did you treat the wood with anything? If I were to make the tower I wouldn't stain or seal it since ultimately it would end up in the soil. I would imagine your bridge would at least need Thompson's.

Cedar and Redwood (also expensive) are supposed to resist moisture well.

Reaction score
Chanell, just a though .. a pyramid would work fine.. don'tr worry too much about the wood if you could make it hold containers instead of soil... it is the dirt and water that makes the wood rot as quickly as possible. When you have your plants in containers you could treat/ paint/ varnish your pyramid once in every few years to make it last longer.
I wouldn't mind looking at a similar design in iron or steel which ever is less expensive.

Reaction score
Chanell, just a though .. a pyramid would work fine.. don'tr worry too much about the wood if you could make it hold containers instead of soil... it is the dirt and water that makes the wood rot as quickly as possible. When you have your plants in containers you could treat/ paint/ varnish your pyramid once in every few years to make it last longer.
I wouldn't mind looking at a similar design in iron or steel which ever is less expensive.

I like the iron or steel idea. I would love to see that same pyramid done in some type of metal, it would be gorgeous.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's a really good idea :) It would also be a great way to raise up plants for people with bad backs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, these aeroponic towers are a great idea, I love it! It's not only practical, it also looks really interesting. You can use it indoors as well:

Screen-shot-2012-06-24-at-9.51.06-AM.png

waters+wheel.jpg

420110803150149004_t607.JPG

Reaction score
P1040096.JPG
Did you treat the wood with anything? If I were to make the tower I wouldn't stain or seal it since ultimately it would end up in the soil. I would imagine your bridge would at least need Thompson's.

Cedar and Redwood (also expensive) are supposed to resist moisture well.
I have had my one bridge out there for about 8 years, untreated. I have attached a pic and you can see where it has begun to weather quite nicely. I prefer the weathered look on my bridges vs a stained look. The other one I just built last year it is also untreated and is just now starting to fade. It will rot quicker if it is in contact with soil or moisture constantly, but I think you would get quite a few years out of it. the fencing boards that I used for my bridge are poplar and it is about 5/8 to 3/4" thick, can't remember now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
View attachment 348
I have had my one bridge out there for about 8 years, untreated. I have attached a pic and you can see where it has begun to weather quite nicely. I prefer the weathered look on my bridges vs a stained look. The other one I just built last year it is also untreated and is just now starting to fade. It will rot quicker if it is in contact with soil or moisture constantly, but I think you would get quite a few years out of it. the fencing boards that I used for my bridge are poplar and it is about 5/8 to 3/4" thick, can't remember now.

8 years is a long time. Poplar sounds like a good way to go; I'll have to look into what the cost is in this area. Two of those pyramids would go a long way and seem they would be easier to manage than a plot or raised bed.

@Maddie and @Flourishes, keep in mind that metal is going to heat up in the sun and you might not want it to have contact with some plants.
@Claudine, one of the local supermarkets has those planters on the roof.

Ask a Question