Growing herbs in the desert

Reaction score
Hi all! I live in the Arizona desert which does not make for a very good growing season. I have a few herbs (rosemary and mint) outside, but I know it's going to be way to hot soon and I'd like to move them inside. I saw some posts regarding growing herbs inside in the winter, so I'm guessing it's doable. My question, and it might seem silly, is: where do I put them? If I put them close to the window, it's going to be to hot. If they get indirect sunlight, is that going to be enough to keep them going? I'd really love to hear any suggestions you might have! Thanks!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Have you got a window that only gets the sun in the morning or evening? They can't use the midday sun anyway, the stomata in the leaves close up to stop them drying out, so when the CO2 in the leaves is used up photosynthesis stops.

The midday sun would drive off the volatile oils too, which you want to keep or the herbs won't have much flavour.

Saying that, i've seen Rosemary growing in Jerusalem in full sun, the smell was overpowering. Smelling it now takes me right back to 1970
4351.gif

Reaction score
Thanks, Zigs! I had a Rosemary on our windowsill in our kitchen (only got morning sun) and it promptly died. That being said, I think me forgetting to water it had a lot to do with its untimely demise ;) I have another window which gets a bit more shade and I'll try placing them their. Love the smell of Rosemary, especially in fresh baked bread!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I grew parsley on the windowsill over the winter and the sun came from the "west" side of this particular window in the morning and set on the "east" side of it in the evening. The parsley did okay, it's still alive, but it could be a lot fuller. The same thing with a lemon basil plant; it lived, but it didn't really start getting taller until about two weeks ago.

There's just less sun over the winter, period. If it rains often, I'd say leave the herbs outside; that way you don't have to worry about forgetting to water them. If you can find a spot with partial sun, or morning and evening sun that would be good, but you can also create partial shade with lattice or a cloth.

Have you ever observed the way the light moves in your yard throughout the day?

Reaction score
It's different down here in AZ. We have sunshine 360 days out of the year, but the summer heat is so intense, non-desert plants generally die. I think even in the shade it would be to hot. Our normal summer temperatures start in the 100's and can go up to 117 degrees or higher...even in the shade it's miserably hot! By 6 am it's already in the upper 90's! I have a houseplant in the kitchen that does really well and I think I'll try the Rosemary and mint close to it. Here's hoping I can keep them alive and keep my felines from chomping the leaves :)

Reaction score
In the high desert in Southern California, I saw many who grew rosemary outside year round. I know Arizona can be a daunting climate though. I think you have the right idea, which is trial and error. Perhaps you could try one on the window sill and one near the houseplant. Survival of the fittest, but at least you will know what works. Good luck!

Reaction score
I had some mint that survived the AZ summer outside just fine and it was in direct sunlight about half the day. The only reason why it is no more is that my dog ate it. lol Before that, I had a small herb garden inside in my dining room. There was no direct sunlight there, but it was happy until my cats found it. :/

Ask a Question