Growing Herbs Inside

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hi there! I have not posted in quite a while but it's spring and I am working on the yard and setting up a veggie garden with my mom. While we were shopping, I also picked up this pack of herb seeds: http://www.burpee.com/product/retailSimplePDP.jsp?pid=59655 I would like to grow them indoors, how should I go about doing this exactly? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
If it's spring - and by that I mean the warm temperatures and increased sun we associate with the season, and you have a yard, why would you want to grow your herbs indoors? They will do much better outside where they can receive plenty of sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you want to bring inside later when it is cold, and plant them in containers. My house doesn't have adequate sunlight during the winter, so I can have any herbs growing indoors.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I personally grow my herbs outside, and just wash them off with some water when ready to use. If you are set on growing indoors though, I 'd get a terra cotta flower pot or if you'd like something a bit more upscale, some nice duo herb pots like this. Just choose your pot, fill it with some nice dirt, sprinkle in the seeds, water on a good basis, and boom, you should have herb sprouts! Good luck with your herbs (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We were gifted with 2 herbs recently. They were planted in small plastic pots that I presume is for indoor. Ashitaba tea and sweet basil. But after some weeks, the herbs have been growing too fast and it seems not to fit in that plastic pot anymore so we planted it in the planter box in the yard. Now it is very prolific with leaves and the branches are long.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I didn't have good luck moving my herbs indoors last winter. I'm not sure if I was discouraged too soon by the hibernating plants and gave up on watering or if truly they just didn't thrive and wouldn't have bounced back anyway. Ironically, though I'm told that herbs grow like weeds, I've not had quite so much success with them in containers as they did neglectfully growing by the side of my house for several years unnoticed.

I don't want them to take over my yard so I've kept them contained for now, but I think the growth is slower. I need to figure out some expansion options. I have lavender, basil, oregano, and peppermint. Would like an abundance of all four.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've been growing herbs indoors for a long time now. Most of them like getting a lot of sun and water, so put them on a windowsill and water them every day. This is all they need:)

Reaction score
If you can grow them outdoors, they will do better over there :) Only grow them indoors during the winter, believe me, they will do much better than way. Just plant them in pots, so during winter you can get them into the house.

Ask a Question