Why are my herbs growing like this?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all! I'm new to gardening and really want to jump in this spring and do some learning. So far this year, I've planted some basic herbs, but they way they are growing seems bizarre to me. I was wondering if there is any advice on why it seems to be growing this way? It's mainly my cilantro and my dill... only planted a few seeds and they've grown, but it has one thin stalk coming from the dirt and then branches out into many and does not stand up well. My thought it that I may not have planted deep enough or the sunlight was lacking... not sure where I went wrong. Any insight would be welcome and appreciated!
20170409_153655.jpg
20170409_153631.jpg
20170409_153628.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lack of sunlight, do they get a minimum of six hours a day?

I think I would repot in larger containers, feed well and try to increase the light.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Parsley/cilantro does not require huge amounts of light, & will even grow quite happily in full shade.

Your pots are too shallow.

Bigger, deeper pots required, or put them in the ground.
I wouldn't bother thinning, the roots will find their own space.
Dill does not transplant, start again.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
It looks like they could have been planted a little bit deeper! I agree with everyone everyone else - try transplanting everyone into a bigger (deeper) container, and really get them under them deep under the soil!

I had a couple dill plants that were growing like this, and they look fine after I put them deeper in the soil!

Last edited:

Ask a Question