Growing Herbs From The Seed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I've just recently started my herb garden, and I think I may have done something wrong in planting the seeds as they have yet to sprout and they should have by now. My boyfriend thinks I planted them too deeply in the soil. Could this be the issue?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've just recently started my herb garden, and I think I may have done something wrong in planting the seeds as they have yet to sprout and they should have by now. My boyfriend thinks I planted them too deeply in the soil. Could this be the issue?
Very likely too deep. The smaller the seed the shallower you plant them. Here is a fool proof way to start them. Get a shallow container, about 1 1/2 inches deep with holes in the bottom. Fill with potting soil or seed starter mix to within 1/2 inch of the top. Saturate the soil completely and let drain for a minute or two. Sprinkle the seeds on top. Pat down gently to ensure good seed to soil contact. Sprinkle dry potting soil or the mix very very sparingly on top just barely covering the seeds. Cover tightly with Saran Wrap or something similar. Place in a WARM place. When the first few seeds sprout loosen up the saran wrap so air can get in and move to a warm sunny window. Keep moist. When the seeds have all sprouted and the seedlings are about 1/4"-1/2" tall remove the saran wrap and keep them in a warm sunny spot and keep the soil moist by submerging the container by about 2/3's until you can see water on the top of the soil. Let drain and place back into a warm sunny spot. When the seedlings have 2 sets of true leaves take the container full of seedlings and completely submerge it and very very gently wash away the soil from the seedlings being careful to not damage the tiny little roots and transplant them into what will be their permanent home. The above directions are for starting multiple plants. If you are going to start just a few and don't want to bother with the process of washing the soil from the roots and transplanting you can just thin them out by snipping them off and planting soil and all into where ever they will live. Once this is done sprinkle either whole ground cornmeal or cinnamon all over the soil. This is to stop any damping off that might occur. Hope this makes sense to you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
when planting herb seeds you should only plant them from 1/4" to 3/8" deep. most herb seeds germinate best with a constant soil temperature of 65*-70*F . herb seeds take anywhere from 7-14 days to germinate....so you have to be patient.

i prefer to use plastic 6 pack starter trays to start all my seeds, using sunshine potting mix.like to mix up a bucket of sunshine the night before to let thoughly moisten, then pack each cell with it and let it get up to temperature, then take a pencel and make 2 holes to the proper depth in each corner and add 2 seeds per hole... this insures you at least have 2 seedlings per cell.

once they germinate they are ready for either sunlight or artificial lighting would recommend t-5 lighting, but you have to be careful not to cook the soil/seedlings. a little personally heater "you can get from wally world that has fan /heat settings has been working great for me over the years.

once they get their 2 set of true leaves you can carefully turn the 6 pack upside down and tap 1 cell at a time till it falls out and gentle tickle the roots apart. and transplant them into a 4x4 plastic pot<using the same method i mentioned before>. now is the time to start a light solution alaska fish fertilizer 5-1-1 <use only every 2 weeks>....

once they are 3-4" tall they are ready to go into their permanent home either in a sunny window /container or in the ground.....of course this depends on your planting zone.... most herbs require either low or moderate nutrients while watering... no "more is not better"..

did forgot to mention that you should only water from below and not from the top.<you have to keep a very close eye on this> since you do not want to drowned the seedlings.< like i mentioned a fan blowing over them will stop green moss/ alegre growing on top...

also once you get them into a 4x4 container or permanent home 2 plants is not a bad thing....

can do a photo bomb to help you if you like...

Reaction score
when planting herb seeds you should only plant them from 1/4" to 3/8" deep. most herb seeds germinate best with a constant soil temperature of 65*-70*F . herb seeds take anywhere from 7-14 days to germinate....so you have to be patient.

i prefer to use plastic 6 pack starter trays to start all my seeds, using sunshine potting mix.like to mix up a bucket of sunshine the night before to let thoughly moisten, then pack each cell with it and let it get up to temperature, then take a pencel and make 2 holes to the proper depth in each corner and add 2 seeds per hole... this insures you at least have 2 seedlings per cell.

once they germinate they are ready for either sunlight or artificial lighting would recommend t-5 lighting, but you have to be careful not to cook the soil/seedlings. a little personally heater "you can get from wally world that has fan /heat settings has been working great for me over the years.

once they get their 2 set of true leaves you can carefully turn the 6 pack upside down and tap 1 cell at a time till it falls out and gentle tickle the roots apart. and transplant them into a 4x4 plastic pot<using the same method i mentioned before>. now is the time to start a light solution alaska fish fertilizer 5-1-1 <use only every 2 weeks>....

once they are 3-4" tall they are ready to go into their permanent home either in a sunny window /container or in the ground.....of course this depends on your planting zone.... most herbs require either low or moderate nutrients while watering... no "more is not better"..

did forgot to mention that you should only water from below and not from the top.<you have to keep a very close eye on this> since you do not want to drowned the seedlings.< like i mentioned a fan blowing over them will stop green moss/ alegre growing on top...

also once you get them into a 4x4 container or permanent home 2 plants is not a bad thing....

can do a photo bomb to help you if you like...

Amazing tips! I've been having the very same problem with most seeds, but specially herb seeds :( I never seem to get that right! Thanks a lot for sharing all this with us.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My old basil plant started to flower and wasn't looking good. I took some of its seeds and replanted it. With in a week I was seeing little sprouts come up. This was the first time I grew herbs from seeds and I have to admit it was so easy and cost efficient.
I don't know of any other herbs (other then basil) that flower.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
You don't say if you planted them indoors or out, in the ground or in some type of container? I doubt you'd be successful germinating any herb seeds outside this time of year, your temperatures look too cold. In general a container is usually best for herbs.

Germination time will generally be a result of how optimal germination conditions were (Soil, Temp, Sun, Water)
A good seed package should have lots of good planting and care information. Mine usually germinate in 5 -7 days.

Lots of nice information above, the herb basics would be....

Seeds in soil about 1/8" or so (just a few per, not just 1)
Soil and general temperature in modest range during the sunny part of the day, no freezing overnight
Lots of sun
Soil kept moist
If the seeds are in a small container then transplant when they get bigger at about 4 weeks or so.

Below is a little Thai Basil plant ready for transplanting.
ry%3D400

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The only herb that I have grown from seed is cilantro! I did it by accident when I tried to collect the seeds from the old cilantro plant. The seeds fell back in the pot, and grew by themselves; so the year after that, I just dropped more seeds in the pot and watched them grow :)

Ask a Question