growing herbs from the plant

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Has anyone ever grown any herbs say Thyme from the plant instead of the seeds? I would love to hear any pointers or do you think it easier and better to grow herbs from the seeds?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Has anyone ever grown any herbs say Thyme from the plant instead of the seeds? I would love to hear any pointers or do you think it easier and better to grow herbs from the seeds?
It is in my opinion 100 times easier to grow from plant than from seed. There is little challenge to it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Shanni, it depends on the herb. Cuttings from basil, rosemary, the mints, English thyme, and sage root well, although some take longer than others.
Herbs best started from seed are parsley, chives, dill, oregano, and marjoram.
These are just a few of the more common herbs. Let us know what you want to grow and we may be able to help.

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Thanks for the information. I seem to have the hardest time with mint. Can't remember ever seeing mint seeds but then again I have never thought to ask. I bought some at the market and was told I could actually plant and grown it at home. Well I guess that particular mint did not like me to much, so no luck there.
was successful in growing tomatoes and pumpkin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Our mint is prolific but sometimes we over-harvest thus leaving the mint with just the principal stem. Last weekend, we did some replanting of cuttings. The low branches that are covered with soil have developed some roots. So if it is cut from the mother branch, it can live by itself. We cut 2 of those and replanted in plastic pots for future use or if someone would need.

Ask a Question