Growing Beets

Reaction score
Wellllll she planted them on March 2nd (I believe), and since we're in western NC, the temps have fluctuated rapidly since then. I kid you not--one day it was snowing and the next day the temperature was around 80 degrees. So, it varies.

Reaction score
That is how I plant my onions, close together. When the tops get about 8 inches tall I thin them out to

That is how I plant my onions. When the tops get about 8" tall thin them to about 5" apart and eat them as green onions
I doubt she'll eat them as green onions. As a matter of fact, she is more of an experimental gardener, so she will pull them when she wants to, which may or may not be when she "should." :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I doubt she'll eat them as green onions. As a matter of fact, she is more of an experimental gardener, so she will pull them when she wants to, which may or may not be when she "should." :)
The biggest failure of onions, beets and carrots comes from being planted too close together

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wellllll she planted them on March 2nd (I believe), and since we're in western NC, the temps have fluctuated rapidly since then. I kid you not--one day it was snowing and the next day the temperature was around 80 degrees. So, it varies.
As long as the soil didn't freeze don't worry about it

Reaction score
I'm sure mine must not have received enough. This past fall I bought plants already sprouted and transplanted them into a large, round bowl-like planter. I've come to realize they didn't have enough growing space. I've considered repotting them and letting them go to seed just to hope to get a chance at more plants and because I like the greens. I just wonder if the whole thing's a wash now.

The first year I grew beets I ended up with little hard lumps, completely inedible, and I knew they need water and thought I was watering enough! Since that year I have done a lot better.

I also plant onions, beets, leeks, and many other crops close and thin and use the early ones. Love getting that early taste of a vegie without pulling up what would have turned into a fully grown item.

Reaction score
Hmmmm...
I would be hesitatnt to plant out in anything under 6c and expect a good crop, as it gets a little warmer at night it might be worth re seeding.
Well the almanac said that the day/time of the year (for our location) that we planted them was a good one. Not that all people trust almanacs, but we usually do. :)

Reaction score
The first year I grew beets I ended up with little hard lumps, completely inedible, and I knew they need water and thought I was watering enough! Since that year I have done a lot better.

I also plant onions, beets, leeks, and many other crops close and thin and use the early ones. Love getting that early taste of a vegie without pulling up what would have turned into a fully grown item.
Thanks for sharing. I'll be sure to remember this.

Ask a Question