Growing Beets

Reaction score
[This question is for my mother.]

She planted some beet seeds in a little section of her flower bed about a month ago--has watered faithfully--and none of them, it seems, have sprouted yet.

Any thoughts on what the problem may be?

Thanks for your help. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
[This question is for my mother.]

She planted some beet seeds in a little section of her flower bed about a month ago--has watered faithfully--and none of them, it seems, have sprouted yet.

Any thoughts on what the problem may be?

Thanks for your help. :)
About what was the temperature when she planted? If the soil temp. was below 40-45 degrees and the soil kept too moist the seeds probably rotted. Dig around and see if you can find a seed or two and if they are soft and don't have a little greenish sprout they have rotted. You might have still have enough time for a crop before it gets too hot there. I am not familiar with the climate there but here in Texas it is too late.

Reaction score
Conditions probably weren't optimal when she planted them or the seeds might not have been good. What were the temps like for the past few weeks? Seeds need a certain temp to germinate so the ground/soil must be around that temp. Were they watered enough or too much?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Make sure she is watering deeply, not just giving them a sprinkle. Beets need a LOT of water.

I'm sure mine must not have received enough. This past fall I bought plants already sprouted and transplanted them into a large, round bowl-like planter. I've come to realize they didn't have enough growing space. I've considered repotting them and letting them go to seed just to hope to get a chance at more plants and because I like the greens. I just wonder if the whole thing's a wash now.

Reaction score
I grow them in my Aquaponics system, they grow really well most of the year but slow a little during the colder months - Sub tropical region.
Last I grew them in soil I did noticed too they need a lot of watering, I have found also once a week when you water add some Seasol, they seem to love the stuff and grow like mad.

Reaction score
Sorry for the late response--this is the first little bit of free time I've had. Graduation is getting closer and closer, and the amount of work I have to do is intimidating.

I went to her bed and checked--she has a few little seedlings sprouting. I've been checking them every couple of days, and all I can guess is that they are slow growers.

She has been watering deeply! If I get a chance, I'll take a picture to share.

Reaction score
The first picture is one of the several plants that are appearing. The second one is for scale. I've put a red circle around the plant in the previous picture.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, again.

Attachments

• DSC06783.JPG
    DSC06783.JPG
    251.8 KB · Views: 348
  • beets040514.JPG
    beets040514.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 325
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sorry for the late response--this is the first little bit of free time I've had. Graduation is getting closer and closer, and the amount of work I have to do is intimidating.

I went to her bed and checked--she has a few little seedlings sprouting. I've been checking them every couple of days, and all I can guess is that they are slow growers.

She has been watering deeply! If I get a chance, I'll take a picture to share.
Be patient. When the weather warms a little they will grow faster and don't forget to keep those onions well fertilized.

Reaction score
Hahaha. I was wondering if anyone would notice her onions. She has them planted awful close together though, so I'm not entirely sure how well they'll do. Regardless, I'll pass your message along. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hahaha. I was wondering if anyone would notice her onions. She has them planted awful close together though, so I'm not entirely sure how well they'll do. Regardless, I'll pass your message along. :)
That is how I plant my onions, close together. When the tops get about 8 inches tall I thin them out to
That is how I plant my onions. When the tops get about 8" tall thin them to about 5" apart and eat them as green onions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This question hasn't been asked here yet: What's the ambient temperature where you are trying to grow them?
Tmperature matters but isn't isn't the defining factor in the production of onions, day length is. Onions are categorized into Short Day and Long Day varieties but prefer cooler temps.

Ask a Question