Giant redwood tree seedling tips drying/dying

Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
Hi everybody,

I have this problem. I was growing some giant redwood (Sequoiadendron giganteum) seedlings under some grow lights. When they got rather big I replanted them in bigger pots and brought them on the windowsill at my work. Stupid me did not though about the intense sunlight. They stood there for close to week I think and I noticed the tips not looking good. I then brought them to a shaded place, yet the tips are dying back more and more where for one of the plants it's already the whole branch.
The questions are as follows:
1. Is this really a sunburn or is it something else, like the replanting? Would like to know for the next tries if these ones do not survive.
2. Can they recover, or they are gone at this point and the damage will kill them?
I'm attaching some pictures of the branchlets

Attachments

• IMG_20180507_103104.jpg
    IMG_20180507_103104.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_20180507_103113.jpg
    IMG_20180507_103113.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 373
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Did you water for them? When?
Hi everybody,

I have this problem. I was growing some giant redwood (Sequoiadendron giganteum) seedlings under some grow lights. When they got rather big I replanted them in bigger pots and brought them on the windowsill at my work. Stupid me did not though about the intense sunlight. They stood there for close to week I think and I noticed the tips not looking good. I then brought them to a shaded place, yet the tips are dying back more and more where for one of the plants it's already the whole branch.
The questions are as follows:
1. Is this really a sunburn or is it something else, like the replanting? Would like to know for the next tries if these ones do not survive.
2. Can they recover, or they are gone at this point and the damage will kill them?
I'm attaching some pictures of the branchlets

Did you water for them? And when?

Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
I water them regularly, not letting them dry out completely, about every 3 days or so. I grow them in air-pots so they tend to dry out faster then in regular pots.

Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
Could it be overfertilisation? I planted them in rather rich growing medium.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I water them regularly, not letting them dry out completely, about every 3 days or so. I grow them in air-pots so they tend to dry out faster then in regular pots.
It is best to water them in the evening. Do not water them at 3-4 noon after sun exposure, it is easy to be burnt.

Ask a Question