Giant Swallowtail

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
A Giant Swallowtail has been visiting our zinnias for a while, but they are so "fluttery" that they are hard to photograph. My patient husband with a quick finger on the camera button got this photo this morning:
Giant Swallowtail b.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Very pretty. I was trying to capture a butterfly which has a blue edge to the bottom end of the wings. Needless to say, it flew off.

It looks like this one

images

I'm going to have my siesta. See you later. It's hell and the heat just makes me want to sleep!

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-30_15-25-58.jpeg
    upload_2018-6-30_15-25-58.jpeg
    8.9 KB · Views: 282

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Such a big butterfly. We can only see butterflies of this size in a butterfly farm! You are sooooooo lucky!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I mostly get monarch butterflies in my yard...A LOT!

However, I've been putting in more and more variety of plants to attract other species and have noticed an increase this year in the giant swallowtails and others. BTW, they seem to really like the Mexican sunflower plant.

And now I'm noticing humming birds starting to show up, but I've yet to be able to get a pic, for the same reason -- they never seem to stop moving.

Now when I take my camera outside I put in on max shutter speed.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
they seem to really like the Mexican sunflower plant.

:cry::cry::cry:! Might be too late for me to grow them on. Tomorrow morning, I will direct sow them. They are gorgeous. I really like orange flowers!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I mostly get monarch butterflies in my yard...A LOT!

However, I've been putting in more and more variety of plants to attract other species and have noticed an increase this year in the giant swallowtails and others. BTW, they seem to really like the Mexican sunflower plant.

And now I'm noticing humming birds starting to show up, but I've yet to be able to get a pic, for the same reason -- they never seem to stop moving.

Now when I take my camera outside I put in on max shutter speed.
Finally got the chance to take a pic, only because these two were staying in the same general area for so long, so I had time (with much time to spare) to go get my camera.

I don't know what's going on here, but it seems to me that the butterfly with the torn up wings is the male and the female is with the pretty wings. The "female" was going from flower to flower (Mexican sunflowers) while the "male" was just fluttering behind her, it was almost as if he was chasing her from flower to flower, but she kept coming back to the same group of flowers:confused:

Maybe someone here can explain what was going on...

002.JPG
004.JPG
006.JPG
010.JPG
011.JPG
014.JPG

And this is just the "male" getting a sip of nectar after chasing around the "female"; it's the only time I saw him sit still, but shortly after he was back at it chasing his prize.

028.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Wonders of nature. Never seen in the UK, apart from Butterfly farm. Thank you for sharing, @roadrunner !

Ask a Question