Gardening Jargon Variegated

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Hi All,

For gardening folks who are new or learning, I added a new word in my gardening vocab - variegated

Do you know any variegated leaves plants ? Please share

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Off the top of my head without googling. ;)
Wandering Jew
Spider plant
Geraniums
Hosta
Pothos
Some holly.

I'm sure there are hundreds more but those are the ones I can name from memory! There's also that houseplant with purple and green leaves...I can picture it but can't think of the name.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Coleus, which comes with a lot of varigations; Lioripe comes in a white/green variety; there are also euonymuses that have variegated colors (white/green, yellow/green); and dieffenbachia is a houseplant that has variegated leaves.
The variety of colors these plants offer can perk up a garden, even when the flowering plants aren't flowering.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
hydrangeas some are, I have one that is a three color leaf, with a blue flower. There is also a variegated mock orange shrub, (of which I have) and the french lace weiglea (of which I have several) Some of you may know, I do seek out the unusual.

For garden decoration purposes a variegated plant is used for visual interest after the flower is gone, especially in shade gardens. But one has to remember when using the lighter part of the plant does not absorb the sun as much as the darker part of the leaf thus care has to be made for proper placement. I use various variegated ones in my gardens to visually effect areas as I also do wine colored leaves.

Garden placement, to me, is all about complementing and placement.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
You guys are awesome ! I will add them in the article for my garden planting planning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
hydrangeas some are, I have one that is a three color leaf, with a blue flower. There is also a variegated mock orange shrub, (of which I have) and the french lace weiglea (of which I have several) Some of you may know, I do seek out the unusual.

For garden decoration purposes a variegated plant is used for visual interest after the flower is gone, especially in shade gardens. But one has to remember when using the lighter part of the plant does not absorb the sun as much as the darker part of the leaf thus care has to be made for proper placement. I use various variegated ones in my gardens to visually effect areas as I also do wine colored leaves.

Garden placement, to me, is all about complementing and placement.
Thank you for insight on using them

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Caladium is a beautiful plant!! :love: I tried to be fair about it, but I really am partial to the pinks!

Freida_Hemple_Caladium_Landscape-955.jpg

mrs_anro_nehrling_caladiums_landscape-955.jpg

3fef00a97bd7aa0c1d3de1f4c0b2cabf.jpg

candidum_caladium-900.jpg

f876148f6efa505b177541de29a5e522.jpg

caladium_white_queen.jpg

Caladium_Thai1-max-500.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Yes, @MaryMary those are wonderful and I love them also. maybe when I retire I will have time to fuss with digging them up and storing in the basement, and replanting etc. right now, it has to be in the grown and going through the winter etc. I have used those in the past but, give them to a friend who has more time to deal with them in the winter.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Esther Knapicius, I just treated them like an annual. ;) Cheaper than petunias, fill more space, and prettier, in my opinion!

@Beth_B, the tubers need dug up and overwintered, to be planted again in the spring. I kept one in a container, brought it in when it got cold, but they get very big, and it was a nuisance, with all the other houseplants we have! :(

(Quick google search - they are perennial in zones 9-11.)

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
yep, agree. and I still do not want to fuss with them. the digging up, putting away part.
But, Esther, that's exactly my point. Don't dig them up. Don't put them away! Treat it like an annual. No muss, no fuss!! (y)

The first time I bought them, it was a little past the time to plant them. I got 10-12 tubers for $2.50, if I remember correctly. They grew, and were beautiful, and had their season in the sun. Even at $5, it's cheaper than a lot of the annuals I buy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
@MaryMary Lovelyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ...those pics are real beautiful :) and thank you for the little insight on it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@MaryMary, love your Caladium! I too have some around my yard, comes back ok here in zone 8. Although mine has yet to re-emerge this year. What are the one with pink dots called? I only have red right now, tried to plant white and pink variety recently but I think the squirrels got my bulbs. Might try buying done plants to transfer if I can find some other colors. Everyone seems to just carry the red.

Ask a Question