Gardening flops

Reaction score
I tried cantaloupes for the first time last year, they had magnificent long vines and I got maybe 7 softball sized melons...they all tasted horrible....they smelled ripe and delicious but they had the flavor of wet gym socks :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Last summer nothing did too great.. too much hot weather and too little rain. Things stayed small and the flavor wasnt great. Fortunately I expected a bad summer and planted less than normal. I've never had luck with corn, but I'm trying again in big containers so I can control the soil more

The thing I hate to grow is tomatoes.. first unless they are cooked in a sauce I dont eat them. Raw ones I find very unpleasant. Second I cant stand the smell of the plants and when you pick them you cant get that smell off your hands.. yuck yuck yuck

Had one plant last year and of course it produced well but not bothering this year. Even though family and friends cant see to understand how a veggie garden can exist with tomato plants

Reaction score
When I used to have a bigger outdoor space, I tried multiple times to grow tomato plants and bugs would always kill them , so I gave up. I would say that tomatoes were my gardening flop because I couldn't keep the bugs from eating them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
When I used to have a bigger outdoor space, I tried multiple times to grow tomato plants and bugs would always kill them , so I gave up. I would say that tomatoes were my gardening flop because I couldn't keep the bugs from eating them.

You have to be a garden early bird with tomatoes. If you slack up even one morning a horn worm can eat you out of plant and garden. They only appear during certain stages of the plants growth though, so as long as you are vigilant they are easily controlled. Cutworms can be controlled with a soap spray.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last year nothing grew in the yard. I watered the plants made sure they had plenty of space and sun but the plants would just not take a hold.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Last year nothing grew in the yard. I watered the plants made sure they had plenty of space and sun but the plants would just not take a hold.

I had that problem with my grandfather's tomatoes. The plants grew all over the place but didn't produce a single tomato. When I was moving my plants inside before the winter freeze I discovered late fall tomatoes on his plants. Unfortunately it was too late for me to do anything about it though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
LOL, the cucumbers I grew on my back deck about 3 years ago were a total failure. They started out nice, but about half way through the process, they started to take on very strange shapes! I had one cucumber that was a big round ball on one end and very skinny on the the other. I have no idea what happened to make them grow so abnormally when all I wanted was a nice uniform shape!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
LOL, the cucumbers I grew on my back deck about 3 years ago were a total failure. They started out nice, but about half way through the process, they started to take on very strange shapes! I had one cucumber that was a big round ball on one end and very skinny on the the other. I have no idea what happened to make them grow so abnormally when all I wanted was a nice uniform shape!

That nice uniform shape you were looking for is actually abnormal. In nature cucumbers and other foods grow the way they grow unless something has an impact on them. A lot of the food we get at the grocery store is manipulated to be "perfect." Some heirloom cucumbers will be longer, some shorter, some rounder, it all depends on their variety and their growing conditions.

Reaction score
Well I tried to grow sweet corn this year and kept them on the stalk until the plant was done growing like I was told to do so. But sadly they only grew to about three inches and the ears of corn just didn't want to develop after the planned growing length. I took one of the ears off and noticed that it was half grown and the plant was dying off anyway. Ah well, perhaps next year I will try to do something special with them.

Reaction score
For me it would be African violets, for some reasons they always die on me. I'm not good at growing them or keeping them live. Some people are good at it, but I'm not for some odd reason. I've tried all kinds of advices in the past, but nothing has worked so far!

Ask a Question