Garden of useful plants

Reaction score
I think that every plant is useful for something. You just have to figure out what that something is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I think that every plant is useful for something. You just have to figure out what that something is.
Very true. I saw a program recently where they were talking about the effect of weed killer; can't remember what I was watching, but they showed an area of India where the same weed Westerners were trying to kill was considered very valuable. Wish I could remember the details...

Reaction score
My next door neighbor, who is in her early 80's and still getting around well, still working in her garden in her back yard, gave me two rather large Aloe Vera plants. For now I'm keeping them on my deck in the back, but before the first frost I'll probably have to bring them inside.

"The medicinal properties of Aloe Vera have been known and recorded since biblical times. It has been used for a variety of ailments, and as an ointment for burns, cuts, and rashes, as well as an ingredient in various beauty preparations. The sap of the Aloe is a thick gel-like substance and that is what is used medicinally."

From the blog, "Plants are Alive" ..

mitriformis_variegated.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Aloe Vera is such a handy plant, and it's so easy to grow. You can use it for burns, scars, insect bites... some people juice it. I like to always have an aloe vera plant on hand. Mine wintered very well the last two years, I hope it will continue to survive.

Reaction score
Aloe Vera is such a handy plant, and it's so easy to grow. You can use it for burns, scars, insect bites... some people juice it. I like to always have an aloe vera plant on hand. Mine wintered very well the last two years, I hope it will continue to survive.

Today I brought both Aloe Vera plants indoors because I was watching the local weather and they stated temps may drop to freezing tonight.

I was wondering if they would do well inside and came across a fantastic article about an individuals personal experience with an Aloe Vera that's been in his family since the early 1900s..

Here's the article, it's very interesting.

Reaction score
Very true. I saw a program recently where they were talking about the effect of weed killer; can't remember what I was watching, but they showed an area of India where the same weed Westerners were trying to kill was considered very valuable. Wish I could remember the details...

I think that many cases like this happen. It's because people are not well informed. That's why the interned can do wonders :D You can always look up a plant and read about its benefits.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I was wondering if they would do well inside and came across a fantastic article about an individuals personal experience with an Aloe Vera that's been in his family since the early 1900s..

Here's the article, it's very interesting.

That was an interesting article, thanks for sharing. It's amazing that this family was able to keep their aloe going for so many generations. That is one very impressive plant!

Reaction score
Yesterday I actually put the Aloe Vera gel from the plant to work externally (although I have been taking it internally for the past 3 weeks now). My son was in an accident last night, he was not driving, his friend was, and was not at fault. They all were lucky, or blessed because the car was totaled. My son had a couple minor bruises, not bad enough to go to the hospital, but directly below his right knee was swollen and slightly bruised.

I cut open an Aloe Vera plant, rubbed the gel on the bruise and the part that was swollen, in 5-6 hours the swelling went down and I could no longer see the bruise. I was about to put more gel on the bruise and I could not see it.

I am starting to believe that the Aloe Vera truly is a "miracle plant."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I cut open an Aloe Vera plant, rubbed the gel on the bruise and the part that was swollen, in 5-6 hours the swelling went down and I could no longer see the bruise. I was about to put more gel on the bruise and I could not see it.

I have never used aloe on bruises, and I am amazed no one has ever suggested doing so before now. I am always bumping into something and ending up with blue and purple blotches on my legs. I will definitely have to try using aloe from now on.

I'm glad your son is okay!

Reaction score
I have never used aloe on bruises, and I am amazed no one has ever suggested doing so before now. I am always bumping into something and ending up with blue and purple blotches on my legs. I will definitely have to try using aloe from now on.

I'm glad your son is okay!
Thanks ChanellG, it was rather scary since this was his first experience in being in an auto accident and it was a major accident. He and his friends were really lucky.

And I too am surprised by this "miracle plant" because the bruise and the swelling went down in a matter of hours. I'll let you know how the internal use works out, I'm into my 3rd week as I mentioned before.

I've been using it so much that the two Aloe Vera plants that I have may not last long enough to grow more leaves. The first chance I get I'm going to buy three or four at the nursery, try to build and grow my own supply.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I've been using it so much that the two Aloe Vera plants that I have may not last long enough to grow more leaves. The first chance I get I'm going to buy three or four at the nursery, try to build and grow my own supply.

I've never used the aloe I've grown internally. I always bought distilled aloe juice and used that. I would imagine you would practically need to farm ale to have enough to be able to use daily for juicing.

Ask a Question