Useful gardening tips

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Maddie, after looking at the plants are the strangest people blog entry, maybe we should organize our books on growing so we can share info with each other. I actually don't have many books on gardening, but once I get them all in one place I can let others know what I have.

Reaction score
I don't have any books either.. I read most of my information online. We shall share the links which we find useful here.

Reaction score
Channel, Thanks. This is an impressive list. I read that articles on growing mushroom indoors.. That was absolutely amazing..I don't need temperature control or anything.. I think I am ready to go if I can only get hold of some leafy compost. I think I will start growing mushrooms as soon as I can. Anyway it will be worth the try as my family loves mushrooms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Reaction score
I have had problems with transplanting little plants into containers.. most of them do not survive the transplant shock. I was so fed up with this that I called a friend of mine to check if he had some tips for me .. he just told me to add half a teaspoon of sugar to two liters of water and give the plant a drink after it is transplanted.. i was amazed at how this worked.. all my plants have survived. I am so overjoyed that I needed to share it with those of you who struggle with this issue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That is a great tip, Maddie! I am hoping to avoid transplant shock for seedlings in the future by starting them in paper containers and planting the entire container. I think it's the thinning them out that does them in. Only one of my lemon basil plants survived from last fall and it's not grown much.

I've thought of using a sugar solution with cut flowers.

Reaction score
That is a great tip, Maddie! I am hoping to avoid transplant shock for seedlings in the future by starting them in paper containers and planting the entire container. I think it's the thinning them out that does them in. Only one of my lemon basil plants survived from last fall and it's not grown much.

I've thought of using a sugar solution with cut flowers.
Yeah, growing plants in material that decomposes when planted in soil is another effective way of avoiding transplant shock.. I was thinking more in terms of transplanting plants from different environments.

I also read a strange but new tip (I atleast to me) that if you find a plant which is dying or showing signs of dying a drink of tepid weak coffee would help.. the plant also needs to be covered in clear plastic and kept in a warm dry place away from direct sunlight. You may want to put a couple of wooden stakes in your container to prevent the plastic from chocking the plant.

Reaction score
I have had problems with transplanting little plants into containers.. most of them do not survive the transplant shock. I was so fed up with this that I called a friend of mine to check if he had some tips for me .. he just told me to add half a teaspoon of sugar to two liters of water and give the plant a drink after it is transplanted.. i was amazed at how this worked.. all my plants have survived. I am so overjoyed that I needed to share it with those of you who struggle with this issue.

Thank you for sharing this valuable tip. I've had a lot of seedlings die on me just because I transplanted them to a plant pot. It sucks to lose a little plant that I patiently grew from a seed. I'll try this next time I try to grow plants from seeds.

Reaction score
Yeah, growing plants in material that decomposes when planted in soil is another effective way of avoiding transplant shock.. I was thinking more in terms of transplanting plants from different environments.

I also read a strange but new tip (I atleast to me) that if you find a plant which is dying or showing signs of dying a drink of tepid weak coffee would help.. the plant also needs to be covered in clear plastic and kept in a warm dry place away from direct sunlight. You may want to put a couple of wooden stakes in your container to prevent the plastic from chocking the plant.

I've had dying plants take a turn for the better after putting a little coffee on them but I don't know if the coffee did it or just the moisture and the watering.

Ask a Question