Useful gardening tips

Reaction score
I have never seen all of my little plants survive transplantation as they did this time.. the need sugar it seems LOL like humans need IV drips when they are sick and dehydrated or in a shock.
The coffee thing I think works because of the nitrogen .Nitrogen aids in cellular respiration and in chlorophyll synthesis, and is needed for growth .. it is as important as protein to humans. Coffee grounds contain 2.28 percent nitrogen, 0.06 percent phosphorous and 0.6 percent potassium, according to a study. Magnesium and copper were also found in the grounds.
But the best thing is unlike fertilizer it releases the nutrients slowly without burning the plants. Now this is what I learned after I posted my thoughts earlier.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The hint to add fruit to the soil as you plant the seeds is great. I just ground up all of the organic left overs and put them in my mums plant. I an anxious to see how this improves my mums this year.

Reaction score
I have not heard of adding fruit to the soil in which you raise your seeds. I have no problem with starting the seeds themselves with good potting soil and watering they eventually sprout. It was just the transplant that caused the problem. As long as the seeds do not get eaten by ants it is fine I think. I have never tried fresh fruit or for that matter fresh anything in my soil.. I always blend them in a blender and add it to the soil.

Reaction score
I love reading the posts in this forum. I am truly starting to develop a strong love for watering and taking care of my plants. I feel like they're my new children lol. Someone once told me that if you want healthy plants, that you have to put lots of love into them. The posts on this page are inspiring me a lot. Thanx a lot everyone!

Reaction score
I love reading the posts in this forum. I am truly starting to develop a strong love for watering and taking care of my plants. I feel like they're my new children lol. Someone once told me that if you want healthy plants, that you have to put lots of love into them. The posts on this page are inspiring me a lot. Thanx a lot everyone!
Yeah, you can take my word for it.. the plants on my kitchen window do better than the ones in my balcony. I sit and work in my kitchen e all day long. I constantly tell my plants how beautiful they are and care for them. My children call it the ER because some of the plants that are in a critical state land up there and go back to the balcony only when they are nursed back to health. Treat your plants like your babies and see them loving you back with their offerings of flowers and fruits :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
This tip will help grow your tomato plants this summer and ad flavor to the fruit. Add 4-5 dry ground up egg shells to the hole before the plant is put into the hole. Water as usual. Good Luck.

Reaction score
I feed my tomatoes a lot of egg shells. I have noticed that the pests are lesser and root rotting is also reduced with this.
I adding a basil plant to the container or a marigold plant to does this.. reduces the damage by pest.

Reaction score
Here is a nice picture that could help tomato growers
482665_10151522719490070_1205526097_n.jpg

Two table spoons of worm castings and a couple of powdered aspirins help fertilize and protect your plant. This feeding every two weeks helps the fruits grow big and juicy.

Reaction score
If you are like me and start working around plants without wearing your gloves .. here is a little tip.. to keep your nails from becoming grimy -
scrape them over a wet cake of soap before beginning to work. This will keep the dirt out and the soap will easily rinse out afterwards. I have been trying this out for a few days now.. and works well for me.

I read this tip somewhere - it says to help heal a sick plant: give it an egg tonic. Crush egg shells and put it into a container .. fill it with water and let stand for a day. Use the water to revive your sick plants.. haven't tried this one yet.

Reaction score
Here is a little something I found for pepper growers.

Mist your pepper plants with 1 tsp of Epsom salts dissolved in about 3 cups of warm water. This vitamin mist will give your pepper plants a boost of magnesium which is necessary during flowering to produce fruit.
I have never heard of this.. I want to try this on my pepper plant this time.

Reaction score
I love all of these tips so much. You guys are brilliant! :)
I am glad you like them. I am putting what ever I find and that which interests me here for future reference. I hope it helps someone in someway.
Here are some little tips for growing herbs. Grow mints in containers or in a place by itself where itg cannot over run other plants.
Most herbs are pest and disease free and a slight trim from time to time keeps your plants growing healthy, bushy and prevents them from going woody.

Ask a Question