Garden in a railing - cool idea!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Just saw this on Facebook and new some of you would get a kick out of it. Something like this has so many possibilities from growing cooking herbs to creating a privacy screen.

Pretty neat, huh?

763_451704688218482_1187870861_n.jpg

Jed

Reaction score
Sure is a Neat idea.
Now that's what could be considered a privacy hedge. :)
Love it.

Reaction score
What a good idea! I love the creative ways people find to plant things. Have you all seen the plastic bottle tower structures? They can be quite intricate and space efficient.

Reaction score
I seem to have missed this thread out completely. What a neat idea... I love it. I think this would control weeds to some extent ..I guess this helps keeps the soil and muck out of the path and still enjoy the plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It looks so tidy! I really like it. And you don't have to worry when it's windy. Plants have fallen down from my mother's balcony too many times already:(

Reaction score
How cool is that! I don't have a railing otherwise I might give that a try!
We have a yard and I am trying to learn how to add to it with flowers and trees.

It definitely is a learning process.

Thanks for the awesome idea, will pass it along if I have any friends looking to garden but without the space.

Reaction score
I'd love this idea if I was restricted to gardening on a balcony. I'm so glad I'm not though. It would be such a clever use of space and yes weed control and wind resistance would not be a worry either

Reaction score
.Here is another picture I found.. I really think these are cool. For people with less space a definite boon :)

greenbo1.jpg

And some innovation here
stock-photo-planter-hanging-on-railing-with-beautiful-flowers-and-plants-15796702.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I just love the balcony planting box idea ! I don't have a place for one right now, but I have had the wind blow flowerpots off when we did have them on a deck railing before, and boxing them in is a great idea. I get the FB page "Grow gardens, not lawns" , and they always have some good ideas for growing in small spaces, or on a deck with growing containers. I am going to have a small garden, but will be also growing some veggies in containers on my back porch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Wow, this thread had been out of circulation for so long I forgot I started it!

@Maddie I love that over the railing planter! What a cool idea!

To everyone else, if you don't have a railing, you could still create a plant wall using repurposed pallets. You could arrange a bunch of these in a row and make a wall along a deck.
Burpee-Home-Gardens-used-an-old-pallet-to-create-a-great-vertical-garden-display.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Wow, this thread had been out of circulation for so long I forgot I started it!

@Maddie I love that over the railing planter! What a cool idea!

To everyone else, if you don't have a railing, you could still create a plant wall using repurposed pallets. You could arrange a bunch of these in a row and make a wall along a deck.
Burpee-Home-Gardens-used-an-old-pallet-to-create-a-great-vertical-garden-display.jpg
This picture looks like it is a pallet garden. I have read about these. You basically cover the bottom and sides of the pallet with that black gardening plastic, and then you add dirt/potting soil in between the slats, and then you put in potted plants. As you do each row, it holds the dirt in place, and when you have all of the rows planted, you let it grow for about two weeks (until it gets started good), and then you lean it up to a wall so it is growing upright. This is heavy, so you want to make it close to where it will be standing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This picture looks like it is a pallet garden. I have read about these. You basically cover the bottom and sides of the pallet with that black gardening plastic..

Yes, I mentioned repurposed pallets in my post. There is actually a special fabric that you use to cover the bottom of the pallets. Michael Symon showed the audience how to do it on The Chew the other day.

Ask a Question