Full shade tall evergreen zone 8?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I found a leather leaf mahonia the other day that is at least as tall as I am. Elaeagnus works too. We have some out in the woods that are 6-8 ft tall at least. Side story, we found a 3 legged dog dying under that one, and nursed it back to health. We called her Elae (e-lee). I will spend some time on your other suggestions thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If it doesn't need to be too big you could try Loropetalum, Ternstroemia or Osmanthus. Check out Dirr's Encyclopedias for more drool-worthy ideas. All of these come in variegated forms that could light up a shady space quite nicely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Oops, I forgot the 'tall' part. There is a new variegated Photinia out that could work and really color up the place. You could check out some of the hardier Pittosporum as well

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a look at the Cryptomerias (Japanese ''Sugi'') Only one species exists - 'japonica'. It's a member of the Cupressaeae family.
There are many varieties in all sizes.... a little one I used to propagate at work was called ''globosa nana''
Here's a right big one in Japan 1579866009981.png

Ask a Question