Ideas for full shade garden area

Reaction score
I have an area that is gets full shade during the summer due to large trees. My soil is clay and growing grass is out as the trees suck up all the moisture. I have an inground sprinkler system and am looking for ideas how to green up this area and make it look more visually appealing. See image of area, its on slope also. Thanks for any ideas.

Paul
Kingston, Ontario
Zone 5b
MyBackyard.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Hostas grow very well in the shade and can add some interesting shades of green to your landscape

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Hello, Paul OToole!:)
If I were you, I'd plant a few ferns. They grow well in the shade and they're really pretty. In my opinion they would be a great choice for you. A garden with a lot of tall trees and ferns would look like a small forest:)

Reaction score
Hey there Paul! Here are some ideas for your shade garden:

Astilbe hybrids

perennial-astilbe-l.jpg

Amethyst flower

amethyst-flower-0710-l.jpg

Begonia (Tuberous)

begonia-tuberous-0710-l.jpg

Coleus

picture+of+unique+coleus+plant+with+beautiful+color+patterns.jpg

Copper plant

copper-plant-0710-l.jpg

Fancy-leafed caladium

caladium-amaryllis-0710-l.jpg

As you can see there are plenty of options :)

Reaction score
Those are some awesome ideas, no a plant expert but I can manage planting some of those mentioned. I planted 5-6 Vinca Minor last year they grew but didn't spread much. Check them this weekend and they appear to have new sprouts so maybe this year they will start to cover some of the exposed areas a bit.

Reaction score
Vinca minor does do well in the shade, once they get the hang of it they will grow like crazy. If it is not dark, dark shade day lilies can grow and are space eaters. Hostas are wonderful for the typed of space that you have. So many wonderful varieties.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I have one more idea. Have you thought about planting Ajuga Reptans? It can grow in shade and I'm pretty sure that it would quickly cover some of the exposed areas in your garden.
It looks really gorgeous in bloom:

ajre59.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums @Paul OToole - great to have you here! (y)

There are some great suggestions above. I was going to suggest Vinca too - they have beautiful flowers and from memory I recall they have a long flowering period. Another idea would be to create a rockery - it would certainly add interest.

Ask a Question