Will common hazel produce catkins and nuts in full shade

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
I bought some plants to put in the fully shaded corner of my yard the seller said that the hazel will do fine in full shade but on the rhs site it says full sun to partial shade, will they be ok and still produce nuts and catkins in full shade or should I move them? They're in 10 litre pots, also beside the hazel I have sweet box, euonymus, and guelder rose will all of those go into flower / berries in full shade?

Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
sweet box & euonymus will be ok in Shade also guelder rose do ok But Hazel does need a little sun The More it gets the better it will Perform. I Would not expect it to Produce Catkins in full Shade. Not many anyhow. Give them a little Sun if you can(y). If You really like the Position then One option could be Try them there this year & see How they go. As they are Pot grown You can Easy Move them Next spring. Being In full Shade Will not Kill them They just will not Bloom as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
sweet box & euonymus will be ok in Shade also guelder rose do ok But Hazel does need a little sun The More it gets the better it will Perform. I Would not expect it to Produce Catkins in full Shade. Not many anyhow. Give them a little Sun if you can(y). If You really like the Position then One option could be Try them there this year & see How they go. As they are Pot grown You can Easy Move them Next spring. Being In full Shade Will not Kill them They just will not Bloom as well.

Ok thanks for letting me know :) I do have an east facing wall I can make some room for them there where they'll get a little bit of sun so hopefully that'll be enough

Ask a Question