Full Shade Perennials

Reaction score
We have an unused area in the backyard that has full shade. I now there are a few plants that will thrive but I would like to use perennials and if possible wild flowers. Do you have any suggestions?

Reaction score
The only flowering shade loving plant that comes to mind is astilbe. And I think that violets are shade plants. Bleeding heart does well in shade, but it's a bush.

Reaction score
Thanks I think bleeding hearts would be great, the back of the property has lots of trees and a chain link fence that I would like to hide and provide a little more habitat for the wildlife. Flowers are not essential but I have seen bleeding hearts and they are nice!

Reaction score
Thanks, hostas look like they might help fill in the area. I think more green than flowers would look nice in the shade.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think that Bears Breechesroom will grow in shade. It's a very pretty plant:

Acanthus%20spinosus.jpg

Reaction score
The internet says yes, full points Claudine! They would look nice behind the other suggestions.
Thank you!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Heuchera (comes in lots of different leaf colors) and sweet woodruff are also possibilities. I don't know your planting zone, but I love the winter blooming hellebores and Bergenia stracheyi. Don't forget ferns. There are lots of different types with different fern structure with some being evergreen as well as the deciduous varieties. Good luck on your shade garden. I really enjoy mine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I agree about ferns! Many people don't appreciate them, I don't understand why. To me, they look like beautiful green lace. I love them.

Paprocie-Botaniczny-03.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
image.jpg
I was thinking of ferns also ! There are quite a few varieties, from the really tall ones , to the pretty little painted ferns, which don't grow very big, but the color is awesome.
Another plant that smells intoxicating in the spring, and loves shade is Lily of the Valley. My mother had it growing in the deep shade under the horse chestnut tree, and each year, it would blossom right around Easter, and fill the air with that sweet scent. I used to love the Muguet perfume that was the essence of Lily of the Valley.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
View attachment 806
Another plant that smells intoxicating in the spring, and loves shade is Lily of the Valley. My mother had it growing in the deep shade under the horse chestnut tree, and each year, it would blossom right around Easter, and fill the air with that sweet scent. I used to love the Muguet perfume that was the essence of Lily of the Valley.

This is my current favorite perfume, I even wear it today, it's perfect for summer because it's very fresh and natural. I love Yves Rocher. Unfortunately, the scent doesn't last long, at least not on my skin. It disappears after an hour or so.

Reaction score
I have a friend and I noticed she grows ferns and coleus in her very shady yard. I think coleus does flower a bit, but I love it's variegated leaves. I have some reddish/orange day lilies that do well in the shade of my car port.

Ask a Question