Fruit cocktail / salad trees

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Your plum and cherry cross sounds very interesting, as does your apple tree, especially as it sounds like you did the grafting yourself.

I would very much like to have a go at doing this, and only have very basic knowledge of grafting, but have every variety of stonefruit and citrus tree, available in my garden to do this with.

Would you be able to help out with some handy hints and tips on how I should start?
1) Your grafting knife must be razor sharp, and surgically clean. If you cannot get surgical alcohol, proprietory alcohol will do, but disinfection is a must. Clean after every cut.
2) Take your scions as late as you dare, just prior to the end of the trees dormant period.
3) Remember that it's connecting the cambium layers which is the most important part of the graft, and make that your overriding priority.
4) This stuff: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bayer-Arbrex-Seal-Heal-300g/dp/B005A5MOFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381963484&sr=8-1&keywords=seal and heal
or something similar, Keep the graft clean, stop it from drying out
5) Electrician's tape. It will stretch, it will fit to shape, and you can use it one-handed.
I've not found anything near it for usability.

Reaction score
headfullofbees

Many, many thanks - am absolutely thrilled to bits with the amount of information you have given me here, it is much more than I expected. :)

After just a brief look at the video, found it to be very informative and am looking forward to watching it in greater detail.

I'm sure to have many questions after going through the video, and would if you don't mind, like to ask you for your help in answering some of those questions - if thats okay with you ?

Reaction score
I first heard of these when my mother had one in the Midwest and I went back to visit. While she was out I tried to surprise her and did the yard and cut back the trees and hedges. I did not understand the look on her face, when she saw I had unwittingly cut way back the fruit cocktail tree. Luckily I understood it grew back fine after I left.

I never thought of one for here in California, but I think it is a great idea. I too learned a lot from this thread.

Reaction score
I first heard of these when my mother had one in the Midwest and I went back to visit. While she was out I tried to surprise her and did the yard and cut back the trees and hedges. I did not understand the look on her face, when she saw I had unwittingly cut way back the fruit cocktail tree. Luckily I understood it grew back fine after I left.

I never thought of one for here in California, but I think it is a great idea. I too learned a lot from this thread.

Too funny. You should get one it is so exciting to see different fruit
grow on a tree.

Reaction score
At first, I thought you were joking. After reading and watching the video, I am amazed. Now, I want each kind!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
headfullofbees

Many, many thanks - am absolutely thrilled to bits with the amount of information you have given me here, it is much more than I expected. :)

After just a brief look at the video, found it to be very informative and am looking forward to watching it in greater detail.

I'm sure to have many questions after going through the video, and would if you don't mind, like to ask you for your help in answering some of those questions - if thats okay with you ?
You are most welcome, and, if at any point in future I can be of further assistance, to you or anyone else on the forum, I'd be delighted to help.

Reaction score
At first, I thought you were joking. After reading and watching the video, I am amazed. Now, I want each kind!

Me too. I wish. It is so amazing that they can do that with fruit trees. It almost looks unreal, like something from a Dr. Seuss book.

Ask a Question