Fruit cocktail tree?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Has anyone tried one of these? Basically several trees grafted together. It seems like a great addition to my garden but does it work? If you have grown one successfully what zone are you in?

Reaction score
They seem to be becoming very popular with those people who only have limited space - as well as those who would like to grow an orchard - but don't have the room :D

Although I have every type of fruit tree available - I'm actually in the process of rearing one myself - but as its the first time I've ever done one of these trees and have only just done the grafting - am not able to say how successful its likely to be.

However as we already have a thread of the same name - you might want to have a look at it - as it contains quite a bit of information together with instructions on how to graft this sort of fruit tree :)

https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/fruit-cocktail-salad-trees.1556/

Reaction score
Hi Bandit! A friend of mine has one of those trees, and it seems it wasn't a very easy thing to do, specially the grafting. But as Gata said, you should really check her thread, I'm sure you will find more info on fruit cocktail trees :) If you are successful with your tree, please let us know! I might give this a go as well in the future once I get the space and time for gardening :D:p

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had no idea fruit trees could be grafted together to make a fruit-cocktail-salad tree. I will be looking for all of them in my area. I love apples, citrus and plums.

When I lived in California I had fruit trees in the yard and miss not being able to go to the backyard and get some fresh fruit. The problem with grown trees is they produce way too much fruit, the smaller trees sound like they will be just right.

Reaction score
I have seen the trees with up to five varieties, but always of the same fruit. We tried one with five types of cherries, but whether it was poor soil, or poor grafting, only two of the five did much of anything. Were it not for foraging bears, the tree might have done a little better.

I really like the idea of this. A lot of people don't have space for more than one or two trees. Even with the same fruit - apples for example - having different varieties with different ripening times would be a big benefit.

Reaction score
Your are right Lostvalleyguy - these fruit cocktail trees can bear five different fruits which although they may well all ripen at different times - are always of the same variety - such as all citrus, all stone fruits or apples and pears and I feel more than sure - that your cherry tree with five different types of cherries on it would have been very successful - had it not been for the bears having a feast on it.

For anyone wishing to know how to graft these trees - if you have a look at the link I posted earlier in this thread - you will find it contains a very informative video - which gives you a step by step guide on exactly how to do it - plus plenty of useful growing information :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
In my opinion fruit cocktail trees look very unique and they're perfect for small gardens. I'm a traditionalist though and I prefer regular fruit tress:) One of my biggest dreams is to have an orchard, but I don't have enough space for it. Fortunately my two apple trees are enough to make me happy:)

Ask a Question