From across the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to everyone,

As you can probably see from my avatar I'm another Brit come to join you, I hope that's okay! :) Gardening here is a little challenging at times as I live in a coastal position and garden on sandy soil. I like to grow most of my own plants from seeds and cuttings but not interested in growing vegetables apart from a few tomatoes. It will be interesting to make comparisons with you all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Howdy Sheal, welcome from Texas! :D

Funny you're from the Isle of Man and the only vegetables you like to grow are tomatoes...we're trying to grow Manx Marvels, from your island, in different parts of the globe. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the welcome R.R. :) I grow tomatoes in a greenhouse as they won't survive in my garden, apart from the Manx Marvels of course and to honest I'm not too keen on those, I prefer the small cherry type tomatoes. Have fun with the MM's they are sturdy plants and shouldn't let you down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome aboard Sheal, great to have you here! I'm a fellow Brit :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for the warm welcome everyone. :) It would seem there are a number of Brits as members, I hope you don't feel over run by us.

Did you take that photo of the oystercatcher?

Yes, I did Licenter, it's my favourite sea bird and not the easiest to catch on camera as they are very skittish. I enjoy photography, particularly wildlife.

Reaction score
Hello there and welcome to the forums. As you might have already noticed, there is a big number if British members in this forum. I am sure you will feel like home over here :) I'll be growing my garden in a place of Europe with a less than desirable weather. So who knows, maybe we can exchange tips ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum and I am excited to chat with another Brit! I am in the US and love to learn from the British people as I plan to visit your lovely area of the globe at some point. Our weather here in Washington is much like yours, so I feel your pain when it comes to growing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the welcome Trellum and Rosyrain. :)

Can I ask where you are in Europe Trellum?

It's very green here Rosyrain and that's because it rains a lot :D but I hope the weather behaves itself when you visit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am used to rain, we get a TON of it here where I live. Some people get really depressed when the first move here because of all the rain. We do get some beautiful sunshine though, and summers are almost always mild. I really am excited to take my trip to Europe and I am jotting down ideas whenever I see the great pictures you all share on here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I presume you mean Washington State Rosyrain? Ah, yes it probably is, I've just been checking it out and it's called the 'Evergreen' state which fits with the amount of rain you say you have. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, Washington State. The western half of the state is always lush and green, we have plants and trees that keep their colors all year long due to the annual rainfall. We even have a huge rainforest on the western coast. You could take many trips to the rainforest and still not be able to see everything. We have a mountain range to the east that basically splits the state in half, and it is more like a dry prairie land once you cross over the mountains. Many apple orchards and cherry trees on the eastern side of the state.

Ask a Question