How to repair (small) pond and fountain etc. pumps in a few minutes!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Well glory hallelujah!:) Thank you DD Paul. I have a solar powered fountain and the pumps keep going out. I think i have 3 or 4 pumps to fix. I have taken the pumps apart (similar to yours, only solar) and didn't see anywhere something could be fixed so this is quite a revelation to me. Just to make sure i understand correctly, you take the rotor out, put a couple of drops of super glue in between the plastic and the electromagnetics, put the pump back together, and it will work. Have i got that right? This must be too good to be true:D I'll let you know how it works for me, I have lots of little dead pumps to practice on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Hello Paul, i found two of my dead pumps and here are photos of their rotors and electromags. Very similar to the pumps you showed, but there is no space on either one of mine between the rotor and the electromags (which seem to be somewhat corroded) in which to drop some super glue. Your assembly seemed to have a ring with a space. What do i do now?

P1020807.JPG

P1020808.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Just for fun, since i had everything out, i put enough water in a tub to see if they worked. All i did to this piece of the pumps was to clean off some filmy stuff (very much like a thin film of dried glue). I submersed them and plugged them into their respective solar panels and this is what happened. Prior to this i had not pulled out the rotor & em assembly when cleaning the pumps. Either those pumps responded to having their filmy stuff removed, or they just needed a rest. They appear to be working full capacity but don't know for how long.:)
P1020810.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Good to see they're working again. Some manufacturers make it difficult to repair a pump, in such case you have to be creative (read destructive) to get the rotor out to be able to glue it. In your case your pump stops working again you could cut off the rear piece, glue the magnet and re glue the piece you cut off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Thank you for this tip. I just found the 3rd pump today so i will see if i can get that working, but it is overcast and looking like rain and i will have to wait until the sun comes out to see if it is going to work. Do you think the magnet itself is good for life? or might it need replacing from time to time?

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
The most common cause for magnets to loose its magnetic strenght is overheating, not something you have to worry about in a submersible pump. ;)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have taken the pumps apart similar to yours, only solar and didn't see anywhere something could be fixed so this is quite a revelation to me. Just to make sure i understand correctly, you take the rotor out, put a couple of drops of super glue in between the plastic and the electromagnetics, put the pump back together, and it will work.

Ask a Question