Cob wall repair

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Been working on a cob wall for the past few weeks.

Cob is compacted chalk mud, built up in layers on top of a masonry plinth. Has to have a good capping to keep the water out, tiles in the case of walls and thatch if it's a cob cottage.

Main thing is, it's got to be rendered in a breathable lime mortar to let any moisture out, if it stays dry it'll last for centuries.

This wall however was rendered only a few years ago in an impermeable cement render, which very shortly after began to fail, causing damage to the cob itself.

DSCN1703.JPG

DSCN1701.JPG

First thing was to strip off all the cement.

DSCN1704.JPG

Spent a couple of weeks filling the damaged areas with hydraulic lime, that will set without the need for the air to get to it.

Finished up with a 2 coat render using putty lime.

DSCN1740.JPG

A few more days of keeping it damp till it carbonates and the job's done

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Been working on a cob wall for the past few weeks.

Cob is compacted chalk mud, built up in layers on top of a masonry plinth. Has to have a good capping to keep the water out, tiles in the case of walls and thatch if it's a cob cottage.

Main thing is, it's got to be rendered in a breathable lime mortar to let any moisture out, if it stays dry it'll last for centuries.

This wall however was rendered only a few years ago in an impermeable cement render, which very shortly after began to fail, causing damage to the cob itself.

View attachment 8258

View attachment 8259

First thing was to strip off all the cement.

View attachment 8260

Spent a couple of weeks filling the damaged areas with hydraulic lime, that will set without the need for the air to get to it.

Finished up with a 2 coat render using putty lime.

View attachment 8261

A few more days of keeping it damp till it carbonates and the job's done
Nice job. Reminds me of Native American adobe structures that are still standing after hundreds of years

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ta Chuck :)

Yep, same idea :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They're not doing anything, just put in by the same builder that messed it up in the first place to make it look pretty so he could sell the new build houses.

He could go to prison for doing that to a grade 2 listed wall and I hope he does...

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
How old is the original structure?

I'd guess at about 200 years, although it could be younger, only thing to go on are the bricks in the plinth, the tile capping has been replaced in the last 50 odd years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Lovely work you've done there @zigs! (y) I guess this kind of work/knowledge is in short supply, so it's really nice to see long standing traditions and workmanship being carried on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That looks like it was a lot of work. The building reminds me of the structures you see down in California and other places close to the Mexican border around here. You did a great job getting it all repaired.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ta all :)

Yep, if it traditional, I can do it :)

Ask a Question