Irrigation for green wall

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hello. I have setup an ambitious interior green wall for a new home. It has 40 grow pockets in a large rectangle shape.
A water reservoir with a water pump - 13mm tubing with 4mm tubing leading to 40 dripipers. The problem I am having is some leaking where the 4mm off-take joiner punches to the 13mm via this item:

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/pope-poly-irrigation-barbed-off-take-joiner-4mm-10pk_p00829262

The seal is pretty average and I can't have ANY water coming out of it. Has anyone sealed these systems effectively?
Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
The brand I use for fitings and tubing here in teh US (Digg) is generally effective. I have noticed that very short runs and or shorter runs with bends or curves leak on occasion. What is the arrangement and spacng?

As far as the 13mm tubing, how are you punching the holes for the barbs, that can be an issue. Also what type of water pressure is there in line. I'm uneducated here, but it seem like water pressure helps force the barb against the 13mm tubing.

Have you contacted the company and asked them about your expectations, i.e. do they feel that the products will work with your intentions?

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hiya, thanks for the reply. I am punching the holes with the prescribed tool. I think you are right, and the pressure from inside the 13mm holds the barbed point against the wall, sealing it. The pressure in my system isn't high enough to force it closed reliably. I'm thinking about putting silicon around the edge, then double tying it tight with hose clamps. maybe even some epoxy paste might work better.
something like this:

https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/selleys-knead-it-epoxy-putty-110g-aqua/p/370352

Last edited:

Ask a Question