All Those Nuts You Come Across..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
As well as screws and other assorted piles of fasteners can be sorted quickly by printing out the "lay over" sizing sheets found at this link:

https://www.boltdepot.com/Fastener-Information/Driver-Bits/Default.aspx

They show up lower on the page when clicked. Its a good way to do a little spring cleaning in the shop while getting ready for the season.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I am fascinated and frustrated by the variety of screws, flat top, round top, different sizes, and different screw driver heads. Wood screw, HSS(?), masonry screws.. there is knowledge in everything.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
HSS= High Speed Steel? Careful screwing in one of those as they may well turn out to be a drill bit instead of a fastener!

Yes, they are drill bits, but it's only when you bent your drill bit that you realised there is so much to learn .. all proprietary ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@alp when I bend my bits I always go find my doctor!

SmartSelectImage_2018-01-26-06-34-40.png

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A book listing every kind of fastener would need a fork truck to lift the book. :D

I've just been in the workshop tidying up and whilst there took a couple of pictures of a few of my fasteners these being the smaller sizes; bigger sizes are stored on strong shelves; nuts;bolts;wood screws/machine screws; nails; circlips; roll pins; anchor bolts and even grease nipples all neatly stored and I know where everything is. All machines in top class working order all tools sharp; electrical safety through MCB's/RCD's with all connections secure and all cables in good condition; the floor kept clean as are the machine beds.

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guides-and-advice/around-the-home/rcds-explained/

For members wondering what an RCD is please see at link above; one of these could save your life.

Whilst working in the workshop I need to be able to select a tool then replace the tool immediately after use not have tools strewn all over the place as I see so often in home workshops; it bugs me if something is out of place or a tool is blunt.

I've never used a drill sharpening jig or machine for sharpening my drill bits DirtMechanic; I sharpen by hand; as long as rake angles etc are something like the drill should do its job; it's very important not to overheat a drill bit during sharpening otherwise all it will be good for is drilling wood. I use a diamond stone dresser to level my grinding wheels when needed.

I have screw taper drill bits these are special for drilling into timber giving the correct size hole for the screw being used and can be used to countersink at the same time if required; these are very useful for screwing into hardwood.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz...VGWSwKHd-RBx0Q4lYIKigC&biw=1920&bih=949&dpr=1

My engineering lathe has screw cutting facilities so if I need a special machine screw I can make my own; most lathe owners can do this; I can also turn wooden threads having a set of hand thread chasers. I find my workshop a fascinating place to be in and once I start pottering around the time simply flies by. I never throw screws away unless they are damaged.

It was nice to get into the workshop for an hour this afternoon.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00189.JPG
DSC00190.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A book listing every kind of fastener would need a fork truck to lift the book. :D

I've just been in the workshop tidying up and whilst there took a couple of pictures of a few of my fasteners these being the smaller sizes; bigger sizes are stored on strong shelves; nuts;bolts;wood screws/machine screws; nails; circlips; roll pins; anchor bolts and even grease nipples all neatly stored and I know where everything is. All machines in top class working order all tools sharp; electrical safety through MCB's/RCD's with all connections secure and all cables in good condition; the floor kept clean as are the machine beds.

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guides-and-advice/around-the-home/rcds-explained/

For members wondering what an RCD is please see at link above; one of these could save your life.

Whilst working in the workshop I need to be able to select a tool then replace the tool immediately after use not have tools strewn all over the place as I see so often in home workshops; it bugs me if something is out of place or a tool is blunt.

I've never used a drill sharpening jig or machine for sharpening my drill bits DirtMechanic; I sharpen by hand; as long as rake angles etc are something like the drill should do its job; it's very important not to overheat a drill bit during sharpening otherwise all it will be good for is drilling wood. I use a diamond stone dresser to level my grinding wheels when needed.

I have screw taper drill bits these are special for drilling into timber giving the correct size hole for the screw being used and can be used to countersink at the same time if required; these are very useful for screwing into hardwood.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz...VGWSwKHd-RBx0Q4lYIKigC&biw=1920&bih=949&dpr=1

My engineering lathe has screw cutting facilities so if I need a special machine screw I can make my own; most lathe owners can do this; I can also turn wooden threads having a set of hand thread chasers. I find my workshop a fascinating place to be in and once I start pottering around the time simply flies by. I never throw screws away unless they are damaged.

It was nice to get into the workshop for an hour this afternoon.

Kind regards, Colin.

View attachment 31753 View attachment 31754

:D:D:D

Crikey! You don't do things by halves! Some serious collection!

Ask a Question