I knew it was too early to buy those tulips...but I did.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I was at the grocery store the other day, and in their floral dept, they had tulips, hyacinths, and daffodils. They mostly had already bloomed, and they were heavily discounted. I know better, I do, really, I do... but c'mon...$1.99?! There are 6 plants in there, and 5 little offshoots next to them. So now they're mine. I've had to talk myself down from going back for some of the hyacinths. :oops:

Now what? In OH, my last frost date is generally around May 15th. I'm guessing I can't plant them outside 'til then. What can I do to help ensure their survival for the next three months?

Thanks in advance!! :)

And... :unsure: whatever you tell me... do you think that would work for the hyacinths? :whistle:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Bulbs are tough, and can withstand a lot of adversity. Your tulips and daffodils just need to complete their cycle by letting the foliage absorb nutrients, store the nutrients in the bulb, and then the foliage dies (turns yellow and flops over). Can you leave the pots where they will get sunlight, be out of wind, and not be subjected to freezing temperatures? After the foliage goes through the above-mentioned cycle, you can either store the bulbs in sand or peat moss in a cool, dark place like a cellar, to be planted in the fall for spring bloom. Tulips, daffodils, narcissus and hyacinths are usually planted in the fall.
For $1.99, take a chance!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Can you leave the pots where they will get sunlight, be out of wind, and not be subjected to freezing temperatures?
They are on the living room windowsill right now, and they get light there. I've cut the dead flowers off. I don't really have a cool, dark place. Maybe the utility closet will do? :unsure: Should I water them at all between now and when the foliage dies off?

For $1.99, take a chance!
(y) Hyacinths, here I come!!

Thank you!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Yes, water them lightly (give them water until the pot drains, and then hold off on watering until the pot's dirt is dry about 2" down). When the foliage dies, you can lift the bulbs and put them in brown paper bags to hold until planting season, or just label the pots and leave them in a shady spot. I don't know how warm your utility closet is, but an unheated garage will work.
Go for those hyacinths!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-9
Country
United States
I'll tell you the advice I've gotten for store bought potted tulips. Stick them in a sunny location indoors, they like 8+ hours of sun daily, and since the flowers are already gone direct light is fine. Let them soak up as much as they want to. When the leaves naturally die, cut them off and stick the whole pot in the closet or under the sink and forget about them until fall. No water, no sun. When fall comes around, take your bulbs, and put them in the ground wherever you want to see them again in the spring. They should do fine. Hyacinths will basically be the same procedure.

Edit: Oh! And those offshoots may be new pups growing off the side of the mature bulbs. Fall is the time to split up your bulbs so you get more plants next year.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-9
Country
United States
They are on the living room windowsill right now, and they get light there. I've cut the dead flowers off. I don't really have a cool, dark place. Maybe the utility closet will do? :unsure: Should I water them at all between now and when the foliage dies off?

(y) Hyacinths, here I come!!

Thank you!
Of course you should water them! Continue to keep the soil moist until the leaves start to die. You may even want to give them a dose of fertilizer.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks, @DeborahJane !! :)

I don't know how warm your utility closet is, but an unheated garage will work.
Hmm... I'm a little afraid of the unheated garage. Even after the foliage dies off, they might still freeze in the garage. It's detached from the house, and gets cold. Also, if I'm to wait until fall, won't they bake in the garage? :unsure: It gets swelteringly hot out in that big metal box. I'm talking "Texas-hot." ;)

Maybe I should risk it and just plant them in May? Two years ago I bought 3 colors of hyacinths and 3 types of daffodils (again, discounted) after Easter. I planted them outside in mid-May and almost all of them survived. I lost the white hyacinths :( and the beautiful miniature daffodils :cry: but everything else came back.

Go for those hyacinths!
Ha! Don't have to tell me twice!! (y)

Oh! And those offshoots may be new pups growing off the side of the mature bulbs.
Yes!! Offshoots, pups, daughters, babies, call them what you will, I call them "more flowers!" :love: :)

Don't understand, why to buy them at all, now? you are talking February correct?

Now, now, @Esther Knapicius, don't be so stern. :cautious: Have you already forgotten our conversation about the caladiums? I bought them because they were flowers in the house .in February. I bought them because the tulips were 51¢ cheaper than the caladiums, and I freely admitted I'd throw $2.50 away for the joy of having caladiums. I even swayed you to see my point! (Post #13) ;) These are better than the caladiums, these .actually stand a chance of returning! Finally, I bought them because they are purple!! :love: :love:

Esther, I think the price was right for MaryMary. If I could get several bulbs for $1.99, I'd jump on that bargain like a duck on a Junebug!
marlingardener, are you sure .we're not related? :ROFLMAO: I still think cilantro tastes like soap.

Last edited:

Ask a Question