If you get stung by a wasp or bee...

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
A man I was talking to yesterday told me that his wife had been stung by a wasp. She was straightening out the shed and found a nest at about the same time the nest found her!! :eek:

He told me that she taped a penny over the sting, and it quit hurting within seconds! He said it has something to do with the copper in the penny. :confused: Has anyone heard of this? I have always been told to get the stinger out, then hold an ice cube on the sting to numb it, but only time will make it quit hurting. :unsure:

I am all for an experiment in the name of Science, but I am not racing out to find a wasp. I am not suggesting any of you do, either!! But if you get stung, would you try it? :unsure: And report back on the results? :angelic: :whistle:

For bee stings, you can make a paste of meat tenderizer and a little water, and put it on the sting. That will make it quit hurting. (I accidentally stepped on one two years ago; it works!! (y)) The venom in a bee sting is a protein, and meat tenderizers work by breaking down the proteins. Yay, Science!! :geek:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Because we keep bees, and my husband is sensitive to stings (don't ask, the explanation is too involved) we keep Baker's Venom Cleanser on hand. One small drop on a sting, and the pain is gone, no redness, and it is as if you had never been stung.
I'm not very sensitive to stings, and for some reason bees, wasps, and other stinging critters don't seem to want to associate with me. If I get that gene isolated I can make a fortune!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Mustard works quickly too. Tried it and all was good.

The plant, or the condiment? :confused: Did you use it on a bee sting?

Vinegar for wasp stings? Ok, I will keep that in mind! (y)

marlingardener, they don't sting me, either! I don't think I've been stung by a wasp in at least 40 years. And that one bee sting in about 30 years. Mosquitoes, on the other hand... :mad: :muted: :censored: :rage:

I seem to be one of their preferred flavors. :(

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
We get quite a few yellow jackets here. My hubby is very allergic. We use a paste of meat tenderizer and vinegar. Follow that up with ice and Benedryl.

Ask a Question