Foodie thread

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Holiday weekend in the states, doing ribs and pulled pork, 3 bean salad, probably slaw and some homemade antipasto salad.

Tonight, shrimp scampi with scratch made runny spaghetti sauce. I'll add paste before canning. Normally we try to reduce it but it ends up very sour when we do. Good flavor this time but really thin.

Having a good year for bell peppers, managed to grow almost 2 dozen worth stuffing and more on the way.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Holiday weekend in the states, doing ribs and pulled pork, 3 bean salad, probably slaw and some homemade antipasto salad.

Tonight, shrimp scampi with scratch made runny spaghetti sauce. I'll add paste before canning. Normally we try to reduce it but it ends up very sour when we do. Good flavor this time but really thin.

Having a good year for bell peppers, managed to grow almost 2 dozen worth stuffing and more on the way.
That's funny, it's a long weekend here too and I am having a tailgate party tomorrow and Monday. I am using the rest of my peppers to make some bacon wrapped poppers stuffed with mozzarella and sausage covered in cowboy candy. I picked up a few cases of beer but already got into it lol, it's going to take a week or two for me to recover from this long weekend lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Got my big stock pot going with homemade tomato soup. Chunked up about 2 gallons of tomatoes and salted them, did mirepoix and roux made with bacon drippings. A little worchestershire to round it out. I cheated a bit by adding, not tomato juice but, bloody Mary mix.

A little fine tuning on seasoning and will serve with patty melts. Then can it later this week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Speaking of canning, ended up with 16 pints of tomato soup, 6 quarts of crushed tomatoes and 7 quarts of sweet and spicy pickled beets.

Garden is slowing down and so are we. Just going to do crushed tomatoes for canning, peppers will get chopped and frozen.

Sometime this week I plan on a roast with sweet and sour red cabbage and roasted potatoes and carrots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Making up a big batch of stuffed cabbage this weekend. Had a chance to get to our favorite butcher, about an hour 1 way. Picked up 5 pounds ground beef and 5 pounds fresh kielbasa. Pulled a couple heads of cabbage from the freezer.

I know traditionally the cabbage gets boiled but we found a deep freeze and thaw gets the leaves tender and no burnt fingers.

Also picked up schnitzel and chebureki for dinner tomorrow, cabbage noodles and green beans for a side.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Making up a big batch of stuffed cabbage this weekend. Had a chance to get to our favorite butcher, about an hour 1 way. Picked up 5 pounds ground beef and 5 pounds fresh kielbasa. Pulled a couple heads of cabbage from the freezer.

I know traditionally the cabbage gets boiled but we found a deep freeze and thaw gets the leaves tender and no burnt fingers.

Also picked up schnitzel and chebureki for dinner tomorrow, cabbage noodles and green beans for a side.
That is good to know about the freezing cabbage for wrapping, are you making Golabki?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Not sure what golabki is, but I'm guessing regular pigs in a blanket.

We ue the kielbasa because it's already seasoned. The wife likes hers plain and I like it with tomato sauce. Made from the drippings of course.

Looked up golabki. Yeah that's it. I saw it's often made with kishka, um no thanks. Funny thing, I grew up eating head cheese, actually liked it too. Until I lost a stare down with a loaf. Did you know pigs have blue eyes?

Esther, you might be familiar with the little Ukraine and State Meats. I've gotten my coworkers to be fans. After corporate meetings we all pile in and spend money. Almost 200 for me yesterday and that was a limited buy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@Ruderunner , I cook a lot of Eastern European foods, but love to branch out to other cultures experimenting with flavors and combinations.
Last night for probably the 4th time I made this combo, Turkey thighs, coconut milk, chicken stock, lots of garlic cloves, carrots, celery, bay leaf, Keifer leaves, roasted for 4 hours in oven at 325. So good, over some rice. Found this receipe online couple years back, as I am trying to explore "curry" things.
Yes, Golabki is the Polish word for pigs in a blanket. I make it once in a while. I think it is all about the sauce it cooks in. I just use seasoned meatloaf mix and cooked rice for the filling.
Have not made perogies in years, love running across a church that is selliing them, easier. Its all about the dough for those, getting it right.

Never heard of Littl Ukraine or State Meats.

Your from Northeast Ohio, was just up in Cleveland, passing through with our car to the next show. Almost got to Corkey and Lennys, husband was afraid that he could not park the trailer in the parking lot. Considering going to Cleveland area for Thanksgiving to be with cousins.
Have fun cooking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
State meats is in Parma, just south of 480 on State Rd. The neighborhood is called little Ukraine. If you find time I recommend a trip to the West Side Market. Usually very crowded on Saturdays, we try to go on Fridays.

We bake our cabbages plain and I sauce mine when serving. Simple sauce, tomato paste mixed with the juice in the roaster.

Pierogis are a labor of love, we've tried a few times and yes the dough is key.

Corky and Lenny's parking lot is kinda tight for a truck and trailer. There's a hotel within walking distance that might let you park and walk.

We've started dabbling with Indian cuisine but carefully, momma doesn't like lots of spice..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@Ruderunner , I live in Southeast PA, Chester County. Moved from Ohio in 1983. If I get back to Cleveland area will try to remember the little Ukraine. there is a Polish /Ukraine neighborhood in the Philly area, and a Ukraine Catholic church about 15 mins from me.
East Indian food is awesome to experience cooking, lucky to have an East Indian market about 20 mins from me, a few unknown veggies are there, ---so I take out my cell to see how to oook them. They also have the very small egg plants, about the size of the palm of your hand, so cute to cut up in dishes. Of course all sorts of spices. They have these rice snacks I just love.
Too late for Corky and Lenny's, home now, I might have to have them mail in an order, or wait till I get there in November, no trailer then. Brings back memories that place, My best friend and I would always go there when I lived in Ohio, she passed on about 8 years ago.
Later.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Did something quick and interesting for lunch yesterday. Had huge crop of basil this year and had some left over in the kitchen. Was making a simple cheese and tomato sandwich. So I put a single layer of fresh basil leaves between two thinly cut slices of cheddar (Tillamook, of course), topped with slide ripe tomatoes and a little sprinkling of fresh ground black pepper. It was more of a not wanting to waste the basil thing really. It was really good. In spite of the rather high amount of basil, being sandwiched in the cheese, the flavor was quite subtle, but excellent. Gonna be my go to cheese and tomato sandwich now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Did something quick and interesting for lunch yesterday. Had huge crop of basil this year and had some left over in the kitchen. Was making a simple cheese and tomato sandwich. So I put a single layer of fresh basil leaves between two thinly cut slices of cheddar (Tillamook, of course), topped with slide ripe tomatoes and a little sprinkling of fresh ground black pepper. It was more of a not wanting to waste the basil thing really. It was really good. In spite of the rather high amount of basil, being sandwiched in the cheese, the flavor was quite subtle, but excellent. Gonna be my go to cheese and tomato sandwich now.
Of course Tillamook. I have made a sandwich like that before but used a Brie. and good olive oil.

Ask a Question