Foodie thread from the garden

Reaction score
Country
Canada
A place for us foodies to show what you made using any ingredients from the garden.

Unfortunately all I have at the moment is chives but they are one of my favorite herbs. I made spaghetti and garlic bread. The pepper is a dried pasilla I simmered in the sauce for a few hours. I love them, I'll eat that just as it is.

Let the garden foodie thread commence!

PXL_20230526_222050916.MP.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I made sweet hot pickles and peppers from the garden last year, course I made pickles every year, sauerkraut, pickled beets, beet soup, etc etc etc.

Tomorrow I'm going to try a Margherita salad with fresh spinach, basil and onion from the garden. Sigh, store bought tomato though.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I made sweet hot pickles and peppers from the garden last year, course I made pickles every year, sauerkraut, pickled beets, beet soup, etc etc etc.

Tomorrow I'm going to try a Margherita salad with fresh spinach, basil and onion from the garden. Sigh, store bought tomato though.
I love pickling too. Or at least the end product, it's a lot of work. I've never had or heard of beet soup.. if you are up for sharing the recipe I'd love to try it.

Pickled eggs made with left over juice from pickled beets, I could eat that every day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't have a real recipe for the soup, just kind of wing it. But the basics are ham hocks, beets, onio, dill, salt and pepper. Common options are cabbage and beans. If canning you need to add acid, I prefer lemon juice but vinegar works If used sparingly and you add some sugar. Pressure canning is a must.

Prep is a little time consuming, the hocks need simmered in a crock pot overnight, just enough water to cover, it should turn into ham flavor jello when it cools.the bones should pull out clean.

I julienne the beets but diced or slice works. Don't shred, they break down too much and turn to mush. Some people go to great lengths to peel the beets first, I just shave the sunburned portions off, the rest of the skin cooks down fine. Put the butchered beets in a pot with just enough water to cover plus the salt and acid. Let this sit.

The acid serves a few purposes here, one is preserving, it helps the beets hold their texture (works on potatoes too), and it helps retain the color as the canning process tends to bleach it out.

Onions bet cut into thick half slices or large dice, put them in with the beets.

Cabbage, green or red but not alot as it can overpower the beet flavor .

Beans, your choice, I like butter or lima. If serving right away canned beans are fine. If canning I get dry beans and soak them overnight. Precooked beans get too mushy in the canning.

So we're 12 hours in and don't have anything to eat yet.

Put the beets and onion on low heat and let them simmer until the sweetness comes through in the broth. Meanwhile, pick the bones and skin out of the hocks jello and break up the meat chunks. When the beets are ready, everyone in the pool and simmer till the cabbage is tender. Or at this point, can it.

Either way, soup can be served hot or cold, with or without your choice of heavy cream or sour cream. Some fresh dill is always a good garnish.

Fun tip, if you get enough gelatin out of the hocks, this makes a disgusting looking jello mold for Halloween. I used an Easter bunny mold.

Ask a Question