Foodie thread

Reaction score
Country
Canada
There is no place to post threads about food and what can be done once our hard work in the garden pays off and a bounty of food is ready to enjoy so here is a thread. A good place for foodies like myself, post recipes, preserving techniques, dehydrating, sun drying, questions or just pics of food and what we made. I see all this stuff scattered around the forum so it would be nice to have it all in one spot.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Peppers ultra pot to pan pizza recipe.

This is simple to make on a day you don't feel like making a big meal. Because you cover up the meat it's basically vegetarian 😂

Start with some greens from the garden. I am using baby spinach, chives, and some strange looking leaves I found growing at the side of my garden.. and mozzarella to shred:

PXL_20230629_191117780.MP.jpg

Then take out the frozen pizza:

PXL_20230629_191539596.MP~2.jpg

Then add the shredded cheese and garden greens, and other herbs and spices you like and drizzle with some homemade herbal oil:

PXL_20230629_192103636.MP~2.jpg

Then bake at 450 until perfection has been achieved:

PXL_20230629_200753254.MP~2.jpg

Enjoy! And don't make any plans to go out for the evening lol 😂

Attachments

• PXL_20230629_191539596.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230629_191539596.MP.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just made 2 quarts of garlic dill pickled beets and have about 3 quarts of salsa in the works.

Might do fermented carrots tomorrow.

You are lucky. Here in Canada I am behind you guys for a harvest. It will be another 3 weeks or so until my cucumbers, peppers etc are ready. My lettuce and spinach is ready so I am making a salad but I sure wish I had some tomatoes and cucumbers to add to it. My carrots are about the size of a grass root right now lol. I have a 100 tomatoes and pepper plants but not one with fruit ready to eat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Don't feel too bad, I only have 3 tomatoes to pick so far, no pickles yet. My spinach and the first planting of lettuce have bolted.

My wife gets leftover tomatoes from work right now. Not very nice ones either. But we're looking at ways to use them.

Spinach, lettuce, beets and carrots were all planted back in March.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I can't help myself lol, I keep pulling peppers that are not ripe. I am making burgers for supper and need a load of peppers on it.. at this rate I'll never have a ripe one lol.

PXL_20230710_204830231.MP~2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Our raised beds went ballistic this year. Tons of different peppers (all varieties went crazy this year), onions, lettuce, radish, green beans, tomatoes. cilantro, basil, spinach, thyme (in a barrel). Also a few self seeded Callaloo from last year that I pulled out - one or two plants is more than enough for fresh and a couple of years worth of frozen! But to answer the question as asked. Picked a bowl full of Rapunzel grape tomatoes for snacking on. Made Chili Rellenos with some of our Anaheim chilis. Insalata Caprese with some nice ripe tomatoes, cucumber salad (rice wine vinegar, sliced cukes and onions). Regular salad, of course. Drying some Basil and Cilantro. Didn't grow Carolina Reapers this, still got plenty of homemade sauce from last year - a little goes a long long long way! Can't wait for Puckerbutt to release Dave's new Pepper X seeds. Been munching on Mad Hatter Peppers - extremely prolific - 'bout the mildest chili out there but delicious - the chili hater's chili. Canned beans. Last year made Chipotles (smoked dried ripe Jalapenos), Cayenne Pepper too. Plus Chili Powder (which contrary to popular belief, is not just dried Chilies. William Gebhardt's original 1894 recipe is 1 part each Ancho and Cayenne Chilis, 1 part Oregano, 1/2 part Garlic and 2 parts Cumin - all dried and ground of course. And it's not Mexican either. He invented it along with Chili at his saloon restaurant in Texas.)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
PXL_20230726_222749231.MP~2.jpg

Corn for supper. I didn't grow it, it's hot house.. no corn ready yet in Ontario. But it's corn and I love it! Lol.
This song is growing on me, my son loves it. This little dude in the video is our future foodie. He could be excited about candy or chips or any junk but nope. I love that it inspires my son to eat good food grown. I love meat, don't get me wrong but all the candy and chips, fast food, I don't want that to be the future.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Update, pickles are coming fast enough I'm going to make a batch of sweet hots. Pickles, hot banana, onion and red bell in a bread and butter brine. Got enough for 4 quarts right now, expect 6 or 7 by the weekend.

Might try a batch of Tony Pacos originals later, same as above but garlic dill brine

And pickle chips, lots of those

Ask a Question