Foodie thread

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I made a banana bread the other day, substituted one "needed to be used" pear for one banana., had two bananas only. Came out really good. Just another frugal thing.
That sounds delicious, Esther. Speaking of bananas, I'm going to try bananas jam and banana ketchup. The ketchup was invented towards the end of WWII in the Philippines, due to a shortage of tomatoes and it's very popular there now - especially to serve with Lumpia.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
That sounds delicious, Esther. Speaking of bananas, I'm going to try bananas jam and banana ketchup. The ketchup was invented towards the end of WWII in the Philippines, due to a shortage of tomatoes and it's very popular there now - especially to serve with Lumpia.
Yes, have heard of the banana ketchup, have not tried it. Let me know what you think.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So it's St Patrick day, we roasted a couple brisket yesterday, sliced this morning and just waiting to warm up for dinner. Also a big batch of cabbage noodles and homemade German potato salad. Momma made dessert sandwiches from lemon pound cake, fresh strawberries and a cool whip cream cheese spread.

I'm waiting for next week to stock up on corned beef and cabbage. Beef will go in the freezer and cabbage will get made into kraut.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Shredded about 10 pounds of cabbage, kneaded it, added salt, caraway and red pepper flakes. Packed it in a crock and it's hiding in the pantry.

Should be ready by May.

Minestrone soup today, using leftover cabbage noodles, a little leftover spaghetti sauce, V8 juice and some kidney beans. Soups are a great way to use up leftovers, especially when it's cold outside.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Kraut is bubbling away looking happy.

Being Easter I suppose some of us have a spread going. We have ham, 2 kinds of kielbasa, 2 kinds of deviled eggs, pickled eggs, pickled beets, sweet potatoes, pierogis with onions and butter (and optional sour cream and mushroom gravy) sourkraut, pickled red cabbage, paska and fresh grated horseradish (with or without beets)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Don't just dump the brine. I like to add a little to cabbage noodles to play with the sweetness of the cabbage and starch of the noodles.

Ask a Question