Foodie thread

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well not quite Caprese with Cheddar and no Balsamic Vinegar and EVO. But Still good. We love to make Insalata Caprese (Capri Salad). Sliced fresh Tomatoes and fresh Mozzarella, fresh Basil, Balsamic Vinegar and Extra Virgin Olive Oil, maybe little sprinkle of fresh ground Black Pepper and perhaps a little pinch of Sea Salt depending on the cheese .... YUM! Fell in love with it in Italy on business trips to Torino (Turin). We have also made a tossed version sometimes using little grape or cherry tomatoes and cubed the mozz or used those little mozzarella balls in olive oil from Costco. Great way to use up those bowls full of little Rapunzel tomatoes or easier for serving a large group or potluck. I like your sandwich idea Esther! Hmmm.... I'm making Sourdough Bread tomorrow......... Sometimes in Italy - at least, in Torino - they use red wine vinegar instead of balsamic. My latest go to it to mix some of an Italian balsamic glaze into the regular balsamic vinegar. The glaze is too sweet on it's own but mixing some into the regular balsamic vinegar makes it coat better, rather than tending to run off. It's kind of rude, picking up the plate and drinking all that lovely vinegar and oil left in the bottom!! Great for mopping up with some good bread though. (Yeah, did I mention I like Insalata Caprese? :) ) Even made homemade mozzarella once for Insalata Caprese - it's actually quite simple - so grew the 'maters and basil and made the cheese.

Ya know, now I think about it, it's kind of like an unbaked Margarita Pizza without the crust!

Speaking of Pizza, I found it very disappointing on my trips to Torino. Like a huge paper thin cracker with a few toppings waved over the top - and they eat it with a knife and fork!! Much better in the little daytime cafe bar places in Pisa. (Those are the only 2 places I went to for Alenia Aeronautica in Torino and the Italian Air force Base in Pisa.) When we successfully completed our project with Alenia in Torino, they brought in Focaccia Bread with some great toppings and wine the next morning to celebrate. Can you imagine that happening at work here?!! Of course, they serve wine at lunctime in the company cafeteria too. It was interesting that whenever the Italians came over to visit us in the US, the first place they always wanted to go for dinner was Pizza Hut!

Fell in love with Panna Cotta there too. First had that eating alfresco in a big beautiful piazza under the stars on a warm early October evening. It was just after they had cleaned up all the buildings and stuff for the Winter Olympic Games. Wish I could have taken Corinne with me - it wasn't exactly romantic with two other guys from work!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Always important to have a good Balsamic on hand. Discovered this last summer, awesome, sliced up fresh peaches with home grown tomatoes and a drzzle of Balsamic and scattering of celtic salt. Sometime the simplier is the better.
Anyone have Balsamic on vanilla Ice cream, try it, amazing.

I have an awesome cheese shop near me where I can get and sample all sorts, he gets me the buffalo mozz. And had huge wheel of Parm, where he cuts a healthy wedge for me. Also he gets sesonal cheeses in, like first of spring gouda, made from the first of spring milkings of cows etc.
Ran across a certain cow breed few years ago, call the Red Cow, they are suppose to be the highest producing milk fat cows and make awesome Parm, was able to secure a good size wedge once, its outstanding.

As far as Pizza---I am kinda boycotting it, in my little town, where there is NOT any good restaurants, there are 10 pizza places. And now I hear WAWA is making Pizza, SMH.
Tomato Pie, love it if you have ever had it, it is made on Focaccia dough type , so awesome.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Cool! Sounds a bit expensive for me though. I don't mind paying a reasonable price for something good and a little more for something better, but like overpriced wines, I don't make a habit of paying 10x the price from something that is really only twice as good - if that. That kind of thing is definitely for very special occasions to me. Of course, in the case of wine (no pun intended), all to often it's just pretentious pricing to make people think it's that good. It usually isn't. You can't spit without hitting a winery where we live, so we have a huge selection to choose from. Going wine tasting is one of our favorite things to do. The downside is our wine vault is completely full most of the time, so we have to drink some space before we can buy more! Such a shame..... LOL. We have tasted outstanding wines at very reasonable prices and awful ones at exorbitant prices. We were judges for the Portland Beer and Wine Show one year and that was a real eye opener!!

We don't eat a lot of pizza these days, since the kids flew the coop years ago. Usually, Corinne scratch makes it - which is won-der-fuuul. We home make or scratch make a lot of things. I make all our own bacon too. If you have a decent smoker - or even a Traeger style pellet grill if you are careful - it's so easy and so good and a whole lot cheaper. Slicing it up afterwards is the long part, but thanks to my lovely wife a couple of Christmases ago, I now have heavy duty commercial style electric slicer - which is very useful for a lot of things.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@cntrlwagdnr , only 2 of us here, and I am the only one that uses balsamic vinager , thus I do buy an expensive one for the drizzle, and use it only on unique items, for only me. Love treating myself to special things, as I am not saving for the nursing home bill. Never know, no one has a crystal ball, never know if one day something might happen that I can't enjoy certain foodie pleaures. I do have a cheaper variety of balsamic for marinating purposes.
I think purchasing "foodie" things is all relative. When home we rarely eat out, only when traveling we have to. So I cook every night and am very frugle, leaving nothing to go to waste, and getting most items on sale, or stocking up etc.
Recently a good skinny 85 year old friend passed on, she would eat like a bird, a few forks of cake at that was it, she did not want to "gain" weight. After she died I said to her, eat the whole piece now, for goodness sake.

I see your from Washington State, have you been to Heronswood Nursery ? its awesome.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Going camping this weekend. Taking along the steamer for a clambake. We do this the last trip of the year.

Only question is do I get myself a lahbstah and some crab legs for momma?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@cntrlwagdnr , only 2 of us here, and I am the only one that uses balsamic vinager , thus I do buy an expensive one for the drizzle, and use it only on unique items, for only me. Love treating myself to special things, as I am not saving for the nursing home bill. Never know, no one has a crystal ball, never know if one day something might happen that I can't enjoy certain foodie pleaures. I do have a cheaper variety of balsamic for marinating purposes.
I think purchasing "foodie" things is all relative. When home we rarely eat out, only when traveling we have to. So I cook every night and am very frugle, leaving nothing to go to waste, and getting most items on sale, or stocking up etc.
Recently a good skinny 85 year old friend passed on, she would eat like a bird, a few forks of cake at that was it, she did not want to "gain" weight. After she died I said to her, eat the whole piece now, for goodness sake.

I see your from Washington State, have you been to Heronswood Nursery ? its awesome.
Honestly, I agree and we are much the same, except we are not quite so frugal, though you can make fabulous food from inexpensive ingredients. It was the extravagant cheeses I was as referring to. But good for you, I did not intend to criticize. It is obviously something you really enjoy. We try not to accelerate our demise with too much food of the fattening kind, but it's always a battle to stay in resaonably HWP shape. Being nudists helps to give us the incentive. From being an incredibly picky eater when I was kid, I had an epiphany one night in an Indain restaurant in North Wales of all places, when I was student at university. I'm a veritable Anthony Zimmern now! I have never met anything (edible) since then that I would not try. Not quite so much my wife though! But I do have my preferences, of course. One thing I do not eat out of choice is sashimi. I did try it once or twice, but I think it tastes much better cooked. Plus, 100 years ago freshly out of a pristine sea is one thing, but today, who knows how where it came from and how long it's been hanging around under unknow conditions. Like I said, we try not to accelerate our eventual demise! I was going to buy some balu once, but even the fillipino side of the family gave me too much crap about it - maybe another day when I'm on my own. I do eat raw live oysters though. And I plan to try Uni some time. We too plan to spend our last dime the day we check out. Our job was to work and save for our own retirement, not our kids' - that's their job. If there's anything left when we are gone, they are welcome to it. Anyway, they are all doing quite nicely, thank you.

Never been to Heronswood Nursery. Is that the one that used to sell all the hostas? Or am I confusing it with one in Oregon? We used to live near Portland, OR but moved to Tri Cities when we retired. Nice and hot and dry here most of the year in high dessert country and even though we have been inside the B Reactor (Manhattan Project reactor) just down the road, we don't glow green.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Oh it's not the cost, it's the mood. So 2 clusters of legs for momma and I'm thinking 8 dozen clams for me. Some red taters and a couple ears of corn. Served up in aluminum turkey trays and a side of a half pound of melted butter with garlic and lemon of course.

As for lahbstah, it's more fun with a group. Yes we play with our food and it's fun when it plays back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@cntrlwagdnr , your not critizicing at all, your opinion is your opinion. I am just in a different life style than you, and no ones is better or worse than the other just different. Differences and how others do things have always amazed me, sometime I take away certain parts of the differences to incorporate into my life, other times I just say "ok then".
One time I was just sitting in New York at a well known international hotel, just watching how everyone did their breakfast, interesting the manners and what they did with their food and how they ate it. Still do not get dipping French toast in coffee, but what the hoot, they liked it.
Sushi---yep, I like it, do I like it enough that I have to have it weekly, nope, but I am fortunate to find an awesome place near me that does it quite well, and perhaps monthly I go and have some.
Cheese--there is something to be said for good quality real cheese versus the stuff lots of "food stores" sell which has fake stuff in in it. Seeking out the good stuff is my passion. Glad your into trying different foods, lots of interesting combinations out there, but I think I would stop at Mountain Oysters.
We have no children, so after years of working, now retired, its all about we can spend the money now. Andd perhaps rack up the credit cards then die.
Lots of folks treat themselves to "items" I treat myself to food items. Have enough "stuff" , in fact my retirement goal is to get rid of the "stuff". Don't need anymore "stuff".
Hernonwood Nursery is in Washington state. Most of my hydrangeas from them, a few hosta's , although in my garden planning stage, I did get hostas from another source which had far more types. Heronswood has interesting shrubs and plants. We did manage to get there once when visitng my cousins in Federal Way. So it was North from Federal Way. Later.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh it's not the cost, it's the mood. So 2 clusters of legs for momma and I'm thinking 8 dozen clams for me. Some red taters and a couple ears of corn. Served up in aluminum turkey trays and a side of a half pound of melted butter with garlic and lemon of course.

As for lahbstah, it's more fun with a group. Yes we play with our food and it's fun when it plays back.
Mmmmmm... sounds delicious! Playing with your food, huh? Sounds a bit kinky... trying to imagine how a Lobster would play back...
But you know what they say - It's only kinky the first time! o_O
My wife is not real keen on clams and hates Oysters in any form, but I will say she at least tried them. I like calms steamed in a beer or wine broth best with garlic and good bread of course to mop up the juice afterwards. Love Oysters all ways, especially fried or BBQ'd - just until the shells start to bubble at the edges - or on the half shell with garlic butter and maybe a sprinkle of herbs and some cheese melted on top. Great camping group food. Hmmm... I'm drooling - gonna have to get some soon now - it's all your fault! :)
In the UK they used to cook clams (cockles mostly) - way too long usually - and then pickle them in malt vinegar. You can get little jars or packs of them in pubs! Especially in Kent and the rest of the south coast. They are big on shellfish around there. They also eat periwinkles - when there was a pin next to your plate at my grandma's house, you knew we getting winkles! I never eat them - looked like a lot of effort for very little reward, but that was in my picky eater childhood anyway. Loved the little tiny shrimp though - kinda like bay shrimp here but smaller - especially the brown ones with brown bread and butter. Also labor intensive, but I used to pick them all out first and then eat them. The crabs over there that look like our dungeness crabs (actually around Dungeness come to think about it!) don't have the yellow jelly like liver stuff. They have white meat and yellow meat and it's all good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
lahbstah??? never heard of. have to look up.
If I am going to cook oysters, its gentle dusting in rice flour mixed with Od Bay and sauted in a combo of butter an olive oil for a brief one min on each side. I have made an Oyster Quich, first husband loved it. Second husband would not touch it.

OK, so lahbstah is really Lobster. Yep, fresh steamed with a bucket of salted butter sitting on a beach is the way to go for that. Been trying to get to Maine so I can pig out on them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@cntrlwagdnr , your not critizicing at all, your opinion is your opinion. I am just in a different life style than you, and no ones is better or worse than the other just different. Differences and how others do things have always amazed me, sometime I take away certain parts of the differences to incorporate into my life, other times I just say "ok then".
One time I was just sitting in New York at a well known international hotel, just watching how everyone did their breakfast, interesting the manners and what they did with their food and how they ate it. Still do not get dipping French toast in coffee, but what the hoot, they liked it.
Sushi---yep, I like it, do I like it enough that I have to have it weekly, nope, but I am fortunate to find an awesome place near me that does it quite well, and perhaps monthly I go and have some.
Cheese--there is something to be said for good quality real cheese versus the stuff lots of "food stores" sell which has fake stuff in in it. Seeking out the good stuff is my passion. Glad your into trying different foods, lots of interesting combinations out there, but I think I would stop at Mountain Oysters.
We have no children, so after years of working, now retired, its all about we can spend the money now. Andd perhaps rack up the credit cards then die.
Lots of folks treat themselves to "items" I treat myself to food items. Have enough "stuff" , in fact my retirement goal is to get rid of the "stuff". Don't need anymore "stuff".
Hernonwood Nursery is in Washington state. Most of my hydrangeas from them, a few hosta's , although in my garden planning stage, I did get hostas from another source which had far more types. Heronswood has interesting shrubs and plants. We did manage to get there once when visitng my cousins in Federal Way. So it was North from Federal Way. Later.
I like your style, Esther. If everyone was like us the world would be a tolerant and peaceful place, where everyone could agree to disagree and get on with each other. It's sad when we both have to have concealed pistol licences and a loaded tactical shot gun in the gun safe next to the bed. (We are, however, very responsible. We don't advocate shooting people for no good reason, but if you attack and threaten our lives, we will kill you in self defence - 'cos we are excellent marksmen and well trained.)
Yeah, I like to try different foods. I enjoy different and intense flavors. Had some really interesting stuff. Like I said, not had balut yet , but one of the more formidable things I've eaten is Welsh Laver Bread (Bara Lawr). Definitely a "traditional" food and "bread' it certainly is not. A type of algae collected from the ocean - nothing remotely like Nori. If you are not local and order it for breakfast, the first thing they do is ask you if you know what it is - a good clue. After cooking, it's a sort of dark green gelatinous glob of stuff, sometimes mixed with oatmeal. Very minerally tasting. Actually very good for you. I liked it enough I would eat it again.
Love cooking Indian food (technically the entire Indian subcontinent). I want a Tandoor! I have Kundan Lal Gugral's original authentic Tandoori Chicken and Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken) recipes.
I guess a tandoor counts as more stuff though. :( But we are with you - somewhat. Our rule is (for both the house and motorhome) if something this big comes in, something this big goes out! However, we don't just shed stuff for no reason. We had to clear out some parents' houses, so why should we deny our kids the same "pleasure", LOL. However we do not "save" ends of bars of soap, rubber bands, plastic clips off bread bags, and other delights such as used roofing nails, etc. (you know I obviously have experience with those, right?). Our oldest laughed and mocked that my father in law also saved the little aluminum pans from those individual frozen meat pies - he ate a lot of them. Well, the next Christmas he got this big long cylindrical Christmas present. He was very excited - until he opened it - Karma strikes again!!
Heronswood is about 40 miles north or Bremerton - must have been quite a drive from Fed-way. (Used to live in Bellevue when I worked at Boeing around 1980.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
lahbstah??? never heard of. have to look up.
If I am going to cook oysters, its gentle dusting in rice flour mixed with Od Bay and sauted in a combo of butter an olive oil for a brief one min on each side. I have made an Oyster Quich, first husband loved it. Second husband would not touch it.

OK, so lahbstah is really Lobster. Yep, fresh steamed with a bucket of salted butter sitting on a beach is the way to go for that. Been trying to get to Maine so I can pig out on them.

When I worked for Intel in the 80's we went to Boston looking at CAD systems. Million dollar mainframe stuff in those days - how things have changed! They took us to the Bay Towers restaurant - very fancy. I had a lobster. It was HUGE! The large claw covered my hand! Needless to say, I ate very little esle, but I wasn't going to let that lobster go to waste! But I believe I managed to force myself to have a creme brulee afterwards...
I have been writing up my favorite recipes - I'm up to nearly 500 now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Lahbstah is the east coast pronunciation. And we get them live, remove the bands on the claws and watch out.

I'm not interested in sushi, never really cared for fish. Unless one needs a hammer to eat it!

I like how stuff is in quotes, someone a Carlin fan?

I'm thinking about building a trap for mud bugs but need to find some river access that isn’t public. I'm sure someone would nab my catch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@Ruderunner , hey if your near this location

3700 Oberlin Ave, Lorain, OH, United States, Ohio A restaurant called Mutt and Jeff's. my cousin Kiki manages the place. She can also be known for bellowing out a tune from the stage now and then. It is on my list to get to if I can arrange to get to Cleveland area long enough. The food she shows looks amazing. Tell her, her cousin sent you. She's easy to spot, probably the tallest women there, with long hair. Thanks.

Ask a Question