Flowering Tree for Hill in 7b

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a hill in front of my house that faces S/SE, so it gets a good bit of sun, and it goes into a drainage ditch. The hill/ditch has a mixture of tulip poplar, locust, and oak trees. I do have 1 weeping cherry tree as well. All of these trees were here when we moved in 9 years ago. 2 years ago we working on getting all of the vines that were strangling the trees out of there and took down some dead trees. There is an opening in the hill/ditch that I would like to plant another flowering tree in. I wasn't sure if I could plant something smack dab in the middle of the hill or if I would be better off planting it towards the bottom, closer to the ditch. I was thinking a Sweetbay Magnolia, or a Crape Myrtle, or even another weeping cherry.

Does anyone have an advice they can offer?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

If possible, post photos of the site so that we can more fully understand the setting.

However, with out seeing it, I should think a sunny spot on a hillside would work wonderfully for a Magnolia, Crepe-Myrtle (Lagerstroemia indica and hybrids), or Flowering Cherry (Prunus species and hybrids). Other flowering trees such as Hawthorns (Crataegus) and Crab-apples (Malus) might also be considered.

When planting on a slope, try to properly berm and mulch the planting area. Be prepared to rrigate during dry spells until the tree is fully established.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is a picture of the area. This was taken at 4:20 this afternoon, and has been getting sun since at least 11am. Thanks!
image1.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, that could be great place for a tree. The slope does look fairly steep, but here are several ways to set a small, flat ledge on such a slope. The area to the right of the stump appears to be a flatter spot that might be suitable.
images

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, that could be great place for a tree. The slope does look fairly steep, but here are several ways to set a small, flat ledge on such a slope. The area to the right of the stump appears to be a flatter spot that might be suitable.
images
Thank you for the helpful information, Marck! That flat spot to the right of the stump is exactly where I was thinking. The illustration is a big help.

Ask a Question