Good resources on pruning flowering cherry trees

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone. I'm new and I have a ton of questions. I bought a house 6 months ago with a .72 acre lot, so the first spring for me is coming up.

I have 4 flowering cherry trees. I attached images. The leaves are now all gone.

I know I'm supposed to start pruning around now. I have a friend who said it looked like they had about 3 years or so of growth since their last pruning. They are supposed to be like pom-pom balls on top of a thick trunk.

Do you guys know of the best youtube video or instructional thing on exactly how to prune something like this?

Thanks so much.

Attachments

• IMG_0840.JPG
    IMG_0840.JPG
    356.8 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_0841.JPG
    IMG_0841.JPG
    365.8 KB · Views: 275
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

I quite like the natural look of prunus trees to be honest, but if you want to prune them the best time to do it is in the spring. April onwards would be best, because prunus can be prone to fungal diseases and pruning later in the year means there's less chance of spores in the air. Plus the sap will be rising which will push out any infections.

Ask a Question