Flea beetles?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh your the best! I really appreciate this! Its helpful and fun for me! I just started to take pics but it started raining . But I did manage to get a pic of my brandywine tomato plant which seems to be struggling since I transplanted it. It does seem a bit yellow like you mentioned about my ground cherries. My other brandywine tomato plants look very similar to this photo too. You can see there are little tiny holes in a couple of the yellower leaves.
Yep, chlorosis is beginning. It is a little too early to tell exactly what is missing. It is either nitrogen or iron or magnesium or all of the above. When and what did you fertilize with and how much?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I haven't fertilized yet. I had been thinking I should wait until they got a little bigger but I guess my plants think otherwise. The only fertilizing I've done was directly to the soil 2 months month ago with Langebenite and blood meal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I haven't fertilized yet. I had been thinking I should wait until they got a little bigger but I guess my plants think otherwise. The only fertilizing I've done was directly to the soil 2 months month ago with Langebenite and blood meal.
No wonder they are chlorotic. Here is what I would do to all of your plants. First I would trash the langbeinite or use it very sparingly as a soil amendment IF needed. Then I would give all the plants a jump start by giving each plant about 2 tablespoons of bloodmeal and water it in lightly. Then I would treat the plants with Chelated Iron as per directions but mix it with molasses @ 2 oz per gallon of water and water it in lightly. Then I would get some manure based organic granulated fertilizer and put about 2 big handfulls around each plant out to the dripline and water this in heavily. But before you do anything take pictures the day you do all of this and then take the same pictures 7 - 10 days later so you can see the dramatic results.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This sounds lovely!!! I can get just regular molasses at the grocery store right? I've seen chelated iron at a local garden store so I know where to get that. I already have bloodmeal so I'm good with that. Do you know of a brand of manure based organic granulated fertilizer that is good?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This sounds lovely!!! I can get just regular molasses at the grocery store right? I've seen chelated iron at a local garden store so I know where to get that. I already have bloodmeal so I'm good with that. Do you know of a brand of manure based organic granulated fertilizer that is good?
Food grade molasses is a LOT more expensive than horticultural or feed grade. You will be using quite a bit of it. I pay $12 per gallon. Any organic fertilizer is good as long as it has OMRI somewhere on the bag. Go to a feed store and talk to them. If they don't carry it they can get it very easily. Myself, I use Medina 3-2-3 Growing Green but that is only because it is locally made. There are many others. Just google organic fertilizers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ok, I will get on it!!! And I'm going to take before and after pictures so I can see the difference and I will also share them with you. Thanks. I can't wait to see my plants flourish. :DToday I will go check to see if there's any other damage anywhere in my garden and see what you think it is. Mainly ive noticed there are some little chewing holes in leaves here and there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hey Chuck, here are pictures of my plants that have holes in them. On the little bean plants I saw a gnat looking thing under a leaf. Im not sure if a gnat could make those holes but thats all I saw. Do you think I should spray them with something? The rest of my plants are hole free.

Attachments

• 20210508_170626.jpg
    20210508_170626.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210507_143231.jpg
    20210507_143231.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210508_170421.jpg
    20210508_170421.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 46
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey Chuck, here are pictures of my plants that have holes in them. On the little bean plants I saw a gnat looking thing under a leaf. Im not sure if a gnat could make those holes but thats all I saw. Do you think I should spray them with something? The rest of my plants are hole free.
Yes, spinosad. If you saw one cucumber beetle there are or will be more. Spray everything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hey Chuck, I've been having trouble finding granular organic fertilizers that are manure based. I did find one called Jobes that has manure in it but its NPK ratio is 16:16:16 and I worry those numbers are a little high. What do you think? The other fertilizers I've found don't have manure in them... just things like bone meal and kelp meal... I guess I could just order the medina but id kinda like to buy something I can get nearby...

Last edited:

Ask a Question