Can Pet Fleas breed in my plant soil?

Reaction score
United States and at times out of country
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
I have a new puppy (well he is about 2 months old now) and we are having serious flea issues. He sleeps outside so I think it must be coming from the yard. We wash him, wash his linens regularly, and sweep the area which is mostly concrete weekly. We have many plants and planters and he likes to rub against them and roll in the dirt when possible. The other day we bathed him and the next morning he was swimming with fleas again. I just can't seem to figure out where they are coming from. Do you think the fleas could be living in the soil?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a new puppy (well he is about 2 months old now) and we are having serious flea issues. He sleeps outside so I think it must be coming from the yard. We wash him, wash his linens regularly, and sweep the area which is mostly concrete weekly. We have many plants and planters and he likes to rub against them and roll in the dirt when possible. The other day we bathed him and the next morning he was swimming with fleas again. I just can't seem to figure out where they are coming from. Do you think the fleas could be living in the soil?
Fleas definitely live and breed in the soil, inside or outside. The best thing to do outside for flea infestations is to use beneficial nematodes. Inside use a soil drench made with Spinosad

Reaction score
United States and at times out of country
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
Fleas definitely live and breed in the soil, inside or outside. The best thing to do outside for flea infestations is to use beneficial nematodes. Inside use a soil drench made with Spinosad
Thank you so much! I have never heard of these things before so I'm going to have to do some research. Also, my current location is out of country so I hope I'm able to obtain these items where I am living at the moment. Thanks again for the quick response!

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have a flea problem too! I find that spraying the dog with a lemon spray really helps her not get bitten, and in the soil and carpet, we use Diatomaceous Earth. It cuts up the fleas shells I believe, and its good for farm animals like chickens and sheep.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have a flea problem too! I find that spraying the dog with a lemon spray really helps her not get bitten, and in the soil and carpet, we use Diatomaceous Earth. It cuts up the fleas shells I believe, and its good for farm animals like chickens and sheep.
DE is great stuff indoors. If outside and it gets damp it is useless

Ask a Question