Could the fleas be outside?

Reaction score
I'm very fastidious when it comes to staying clean and healthy, and I always make sure I do the same for my animals. However, I brought one to the vet recently and they found flea dirt on him! I told them I didn't understand how the cat could have obtained them, and they said that if cats sit near screen doors and windows, then they can actually catch them from outside. Is this true? And if it is true, then that probably means they are around my garden! Can anyone help me as to how I can treat the problem outside if that is where it's stemming from?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cats are always catching fleas from outside, not anything you can do about it apart from a flea collar and a product like Frontline i'm afraid.

Reaction score
If you live in an area that allows it, chicken and guinea hens are good at eating fleas around the yard. There is also a spray or powder you can put around the yard and especially at the base of the house, but sometimes it's not an easy battle to win if the neighbors have them and aren't treating too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Diatomaceous earth is a natural contol for fleas. You can look it up for instructions on its use outside or on carpets. If you live where you get freezing weather for two or more weeks during the winter you won't have as much of a problem as warmer, damp climates. I live where fleas can be horrific. I use Frontline or Advantage on our pets to keep my sanity.

Some years are worse for fleas than others. I have heard of vacant third floor apartment that had no pets having a problem one year. Fleas can hop a great distance and get carried on clothing as well as animals. It is fortunate for us they prefer furry bodies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My mother claims that a few years ago she saw fleas jumping on the grass in our garden. Apparently, a homeless cat brang them there:eek: I don't understand why they didn't stay on the cat though.
Anyway, we have a dog now and we always use Frontline on him. So far, it works.

Reaction score
I had a problem with fleas getting on my dog by the stray cats around here. The cats brought them into my yard and my dog got them. I took care of that problem and got something to put in my yard to get rid of the fleas there. I also put flea repellent on my dog too.

Reaction score
They can be transported by humans as well, I always use topical anti flea stuff on my pets. It works better than collars by a mile, and I don't find shampooing to do anything other than stressing us all out.

Reaction score
If you do not want to treat the animals beyond Front line or Advantage or the like, you have to get to the fleas outside. I use a flea killer that works with a hose sprayer and treat all the walkways and patio areas as well as the lawn. Yes the fleas can be outside and they can come in on you and your pets. They are attracted to white so if you put on tall white socks and walk around your yard, you will have some ride alongs if they are fleas in the grass or even in the dirt.

Reaction score
If you do not want to treat the animals beyond Front line or Advantage or the like, you have to get to the fleas outside. I use a flea killer that works with a hose sprayer and treat all the walkways and patio areas as well as the lawn. Yes the fleas can be outside and they can come in on you and your pets. They are attracted to white so if you put on tall white socks and walk around your yard, you will have some ride alongs if they are fleas in the grass or even in the dirt.

Is the white thing true? I remember hearing that when I was little but eventually coming to the conclusion that they're just much easier to spot on all white surfaces.

Reaction score
I have something to put on my hose and spray my yard as well. I have used it because I want to put my dog back outside but I want to make sure there are no more fleas because I don't want to bring any into my house. I will have to try thr white to see if they're gone.

Reaction score
Yes, fleas are attracted to white. To see if you have fleas in your house, put a white piece of paper down on the floor. Put a bowl of water on top. I think you can even shine a light on it. Leave it overnight. The fleas will be all around the paper. This is what I heard. I am not sure it works, but you can always try.

Reaction score
Simplest solution is to treat and protect the cat. Its the cheapest way and at least you are fairly sure that the cat won't bring the fleas inside. It is a nightmare once that happens.

Reaction score
If it is warm outside, fleas can get inside. Not just sitting by the screen door. People, and other pets can accidentally carry them in as well. Diatomaceous earth is good. There are other powders, some made specifically for fleas that you put down right before it rains.I treat my lawn regularly during the summer months.

Reaction score
I'm very fastidious when it comes to staying clean and healthy, and I always make sure I do the same for my animals. However, I brought one to the vet recently and they found flea dirt on him! I told them I didn't understand how the cat could have obtained them, and they said that if cats sit near screen doors and windows, then they can actually catch them from outside. Is this true? And if it is true, then that probably means they are around my garden! Can anyone help me as to how I can treat the problem outside if that is where it's stemming from?

Frontline isn't always as effective as it's cracked up to be. My veterinarian recommended Vectra for our two cats and one dog. It seems to work better than Frontline.

Ask a Question