Flea Beetles on my Eggplant

mvona

The butler
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm getting ready to plant my eggplant. The last two years they flopped because of infestation of flea beetles. Does anyone have a recommendation for how to control or kill them. I did not see them mentioned in the existing threads. Thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
An organic control is to mix two parts rubbing alcohol, five parts water, and one part liquid soap. Make sure it is soap (Ivory, Dreft), not detergent. Spray the plants' foliage with this. It needs to be repeated after a rain.
Also, plain old talcum powder dusted on plants in the eggplant, tomato, and peppers also repels the beetles. Again, this needs to be repeated after a rain.
I buy the cheapest talcum powder available in early spring, and start dusting my plants with it as soon as they go in the ground. No beetle problem. (And they smell so good!)

mvona

The butler
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Chuck and Marlingardener,
Thank for the help. I plan to put them in next week and will let everyone know in a month or so what my experience is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Eggplant is a hot weather crop. Isn't it still rather cool in NY? If you put them in too early you are asking for problems. I would wait until the soil temperature is at least 70F.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I have planted mint next to crops that attracted flea beetle. That worked. They don’t like mint. Although the mint did get a bit rampant!

mvona

The butler
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Marliongardener - The flea beetles came back after I tried the alcohol/soap concoction. I am unable to control them. it's a shame because I love eggplant. Now the mint thing I have not tried but I don know that mint is invasive and gets out of hand easily. may some potted mint right next to it will have an effect. If I can get that in place before i lose the plants entirely I'll let you know how it works. thanks Judith.

Ask a Question