Flea beetles?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
See attached pic. Is this flea beetle damage? Whatever it is, its eating my ground cherries. I have spinosad, neem oil and BT but I'm not sure which is the best to use. Im thinking spinosad? Any suggestions? Also, should I be using these products preventatively on all my plants or just on the affected ones as they occur?

Attachments

• 20210506_131239.jpg
    20210506_131239.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 52
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
See attached pic. Is this flea beetle damage? Whatever it is, its eating my ground cherries. I have spinosad, neem oil and BT but I'm not sure which is the best to use. Im thinking spinosad? Any suggestions? Also, should I be using these products preventatively on all my plants or just on the affected ones as they occur?
You usually can see flea beetles. What if anything do you see on the bottom of the leaves. Look for the culprits at night. Bt is only for caterpillars. Neem Oil is a contact killer and is excellent on eggs and mites. This could possibly be mites but this is something I would use spinosad on first and if that didn't work use the Neem. Using these as a preventative also kills your beneficial insects. I never spray anything until I see damage, otherwise, it is just a waste of time and money spraying for something that isn't there and probably won't be there. This damage didn't happen all at once, it took some time. Inspect closely more often. I think the damage was done while these leaves were closer to the ground and pill bugs got to them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ok that is what I was thinking... re not spraying preventatively. Sounds right. I used captain jacks deadbug spinosad on them. I hope they recover and flourish in time....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have seen evidence of pill bugs in the soil. Not under those particular plants... yet... but in other places. I will go out there tonight and look at the plants with a flashlight and hopefully figure out who the culprit is. It seems like a lot of my plants get little holes in them so its hard for me to know what is acceptable damage and what needs spraying.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I just saw this on one of the ground cherries but its damage looks different than the little holes, although just as unwelcome.

Attachments

• 20210506_165458.jpg
    20210506_165458.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 59
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have seen evidence of pill bugs in the soil. Not under those particular plants... yet... but in other places. I will go out there tonight and look at the plants with a flashlight and hopefully figure out who the culprit is. It seems like a lot of my plants get little holes in them so its hard for me to know what is acceptable damage and what needs spraying.
I just saw this on one of the ground cherries but its damage looks different than the little holes, although just as unwelcome.
Uh oh. That is a cucumber beetle. He didn't do the origional damage shown but spray spinosad ASAP. These are really bad guys. Spray both sides of the leaves if you can.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I sprayed both sides of leaves. Ugh. I hope it works. I've been raising those groundcherries from seed and have put alot of tlc into them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I sprayed both sides of leaves. Ugh. I hope it works. I've been raising those groundcherries from seed and have put alot of tlc into them.
Keep a close eye on the damaged leaves and see if any more damage occurs and especially watch the new leaves. It's a good thing it is happening now instead of during the blooming period.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok, thank you for your advice, as always. I will keep a close eye from now on!
I looked again at the cucumber beetle picture and saw what caused the original damage which you took care of with the Captain Jacks. It was cabbage looper caterpillars. You can see the dried out carcass of one of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh my!!! Good find!! Seems like my garden has a huge diversity of bad bugs. Are most gardens like that?
Not really. Insects and caterpillars are attracted to weak or stressed plants. There are many reasons for this but in any case, a successful garden MUST be carefully observed on a daily basis and the gardener MUST know what is going on. I inspect every plant in my garden on a daily basis. When you have learned what to look for you can inspect a plant in about 10 seconds. You will soon learn what to look for whether it be from caterpillars or insects or fungus or a virus or some nutritional issue. I had some cabbage loopers on one plant of Portuguese Kale about 2 weeks ago. I walked by and saw a few small holes in one of the leaves. I know holes in leaves aren't normal so I looked on the bottom of the leaf and saw the looper happily munching away so I go mix up a pint of Bt and spray all of my Portuguese Kale plants whether they needed it or not. As of today there isn't an insect or caterpillar of any type to be found and the damage to that one kale leaf was minimal at worst. I rarely have to use anything in my garden but by being vigilant I can stop any problem before it gets serious.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well a lot of my plants are newly transplanted so maybe they are stressed from that transition? I will go out there and play them some relaxing music.. Haha no im joking, but I will do a better job of inspecting from now on! Thanks so much..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well a lot of my plants are newly transplanted so maybe they are stressed from that transition? I will go out there and play them some relaxing music.. Haha no im joking, but I will do a better job of inspecting from now on! Thanks so much..
I don't know for sure but to me, it seemed that your ground cherry has a yellowish tinge to it. If so it is lacking nitrogen and that is probably why the loopers got to it. Take some pics of all your plants and I will try to help you diagnose any problems you may have.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh your the best! I really appreciate this! Its helpful and fun for me! I just started to take pics but it started raining . But I did manage to get a pic of my brandywine tomato plant which seems to be struggling since I transplanted it. It does seem a bit yellow like you mentioned about my ground cherries. My other brandywine tomato plants look very similar to this photo too. You can see there are little tiny holes in a couple of the yellower leaves.

Attachments

• 20210507_143323.jpg
    20210507_143323.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210507_143320.jpg
    20210507_143320.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210507_143317.jpg
    20210507_143317.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 42

Ask a Question