First time basil, did I prune this right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would start the basil cuttings in Water first to get the roots started. Just cut off a decent branch with a few larger leaves and place it in a cup of water and out it next to a sunny window. It'll take about 2 weeks to start new roots but once the little roots start they will grow like crazy. Replace the water every few days and you should be good to go. Once you have Some decent roots dip them in a root hormone and then plant them in new soil. Leave the leafs above the soil so photosynthesis can occur. Seeds need heat and moisture to start, plants need moisture and sunlight to continue. If you bury the leaves completely it won't be able to get any sunlight to grow.

Here are some propagated cuttings that I've done in the past. It took about 2 weeks for the roots to start, but once they started they grew like crazy. These pics are taken within 3 days once the root started.

Concerning your watering issue is just water heavily in the morning and that's it. Make sure your pot can drain with a hole in the bottom or side and let the soil absorbs as much as it needs. Then stop. If your just misting the top layer of soil you're not getting water down to the roots. Plants can be drought tolorant in the right conditions. For example, my mint and sage both pretty much dried up and look dehydrated but still alive. I watered them heavily and the popped right back up. Too much water is just as bad as not enough. So just make sure your pots drain well and just water heavily once every other day or so.

Attachments

• IMG_20160417_194508.jpg
    IMG_20160417_194508.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 391
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys, I have an update on my plants. They have grown a lot larger since the last time I posted pictures and have branched off and are getting bushier. I took about 5 cuttings and stuck them in water for about 1-2 weeks. They all grew a lot of roots and I'v replanted them all and they seem to be doing really well.

However, I recently ran into a bit of a problem. I started a compost pile because I wanted to make some fertilizer for my plants, but that turned out to be a double edged sword because it attracted mice which managed to eat some big chunks in a bunch of my basil leaves. One of the propagated plants was practically destroyed. I know where the mice are coming from and set up traps and even caught 4 mice in one night! However, I know there are still more around. Just last night I heard one running around somewhere in my apartment. I'v got rid of the compost pile because it just honestly wasn't worth having mice and i'v been laying traps everywhere.

I'm still a bit worried about my plants though. I have several traps set up around the plants with peanut butter and rice but i'm afraid they'll still make it to my plants. Most advice i'v read is to set up some kind of cage but that really isn't practical where I live. Is there anything else I can do to protect my plants?

Also, should I cut off the leaves that have been half eaten or just leave them be until I do a pruning?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I usually just snip the big leaves, and the top of branches! They seem to get stronger, and more bushy as well. When winter comes I will just dry them and then crumble them up to use in my cooking. I love basil, especially Thai basil!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Are you sure it's mice and not bugs eating your basil?

Either way you don't want mice running around your home! Google electronic mouse traps...inexpensive, clean, effective.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I didn't know that mice like basil:eek:
As for pruning herbs, it's very easy. I pinch off some leaves whenever I need them for cooking or simply want to smell them. All my basil plants grow healthy:)

Ask a Question