Basil

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi I was wondering if you guys had any tips for me I am just starting and I am growing basil if you have any tips that would be great.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Hi Dixon! You have chosen one of the easiest herbs to grow--basil. There are several types of basil, but we grow the Italian Genovese (large leaf) variety. It is so good in so many dishes!
Tips: it would help to know where you are in the USA. For us here in Texas, we start basil indoors in February for transplanting outdoors in late March. Basil loves warm weather and hates cold. Do not plant, even in a container, for at least two weeks after the predicted last frost.
If you have limited garden space, know that basil and tomatoes just love each other! We plant basil between our tomato plants, and both thrive. You can tuck basil into flower beds, too. We have the purple basil among our roses. They do seem to like each other!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Dixon! You have chosen one of the easiest herbs to grow--basil. There are several types of basil, but we grow the Italian Genovese (large leaf) variety. It is so good in so many dishes!
Tips: it would help to know where you are in the USA. For us here in Texas, we start basil indoors in February for transplanting outdoors in late March. Basil loves warm weather and hates cold. Do not plant, even in a container, for at least two weeks after the predicted last frost.
If you have limited garden space, know that basil and tomatoes just love each other! We plant basil between our tomato plants, and both thrive. You can tuck basil into flower beds, too. We have the purple basil among our roses. They do seem to like each other!
Thanks we got the Italian basil and we are in Charlotte NC

Reaction score
Country
United States
Those are some amazing tips thank you so much

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Dixon, please add your location, Charlotte NC, to your avatar. That way each member can tailor advice to your location.
Good luck with your basil!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forum!

I presently have a few basil seedlings in containers. I won't be moving them outdoors until Memorial Day. And they stay in the container. Don't let them get too thirsty either. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Basil loves nitrogen and a fairly acidic pH, like 5.5-6.5. It also likes moisture and will drink fast when it’s healthy and growing. I got some indoors right now but will probably plant about 100 or so this summer in the beds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I prune the tips of my Basil to keep it from setting seeds too soon
smalzaciglia.gif

Ask a Question