First Carolina Reaper pod

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Good stuff Bootsy. I have a feeling the Nagas and Bhut Jolokias will be my faves. I did read as well that some folks believe the Naga Morich and Bhut Jolokia are the same but put them side by side and they look very different. The Naga stems and leaves are much darker than the bhuts. I am looking forward to this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
In the UK I wouls have to bring them in during the cold winter months..I'm not hoping for much this year as they are only young plants..Next year will be better I think....I am planning to build an indoor hot house affair with propagators and 6500k lighting on timers to over winter, but I know they will probably need a rest period so do you reckon it would be advisable to drop the propagator temps for a certain length of time to mimic seasonal change for a couple of months or not....what you reckon guys??

chilli collection 1.jpg

Some of the collection to include Carolina Reaper and Prairie Fire
The Reapers have just germinated

Reaper seedlings.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
do you reckon it would be advisable to drop the propagator temps for a certain length of time to mimic seasonal change for a couple of months or not

Yes, that will give them a dormant period but no lower than 60F.

Under normal circumstances they should grow and fruit in the same season but you have sown yours rather late. So, by all means, over winter them. I've found that there isn't a great deal of difference between new grown plants and overwintered plants with regard to timing and cropping. So I no longer bother to overwinter them.

Sowing the seeds in January is the best thing (as long as you can give them 70F), and no later than mid Feb, to get a good crop in the summer. The photos I show of how the Nagas are growing now are of plants that were sown in mid-Feb (we were on holiday so couldn't plant in Jan.).

Just as a culinary note:- The Bangladeshi community say that they much prefer the flavour of Nagas when they are still green.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Aye I was a bit late to the party Bootsy...but then again I've put my party off until next season but want to keep them going if I can...Thanks again your info is much appreciated

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Northern Ireland cold n wet lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's a pity. If you were near me you could have had one of my plants. (y)
Now that would have been brilliant as they all look very vibrant...where abouts do you live exactly?? (county)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Now that would have been brilliant as they all look very vibrant...where abouts do you live exactly?? (county)

Essex Hertfordshire border. We open our garden for charity once a year (end of May Bank Holiday) for one and a half days and get over 500 visitors. (y) Zigs has been coming up to it from Dorset for many years. With a bit of luck @CanadianLori will be coming over next year. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
The small Nagas that I showed 10 days ago have now grown quite big. (y)
P1340535.JPG

And the Hybrids are ripening quite quickly. These few very hot days we've just had have really got them going.
P1340536.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Do you boys really eat them .. Caroline Reaper - is it the hottest chilli on earth?... The ones big men crying consuming them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I take it you wear Gloves, Bootsy???

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Not when working with chillies (picking, cooking etc.) - except when repotting them as I wear gloves for all forms of gardening (digging, weeding, mowing, deadheading etc.).

I don't wear gloves when picking produce except for courgettes, tomatoes and fruit.

Ask a Question