Country
United States
IMG_0531.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Excellent...any growing info?....as much as you can give me please :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The plants become woody over time. I purchased this plant last year mid summer. I did not get any fruits. I chopped it down and overwintered it. It currently is growing in a 20 gallon planter. It has 9 pods already. I purchased 2 additional reaper plants from chiliplants.com. These are producing buds and I expect pods in the next couple of weeks. I will post pics of all my superhots later.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
One thing I have read is that peppers like to be stressed, I am pretty sure I read it here, After I planted them I started picking the tops off. I randomly pluck leaves off too. I have been feeding them black cow compost from home depot (my compost pile is almost there. :)).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Fantastic pics @GardenStateGardner
Many thanks for the info
I have all the species you describe (although smaller) except for a straight forward Jalapeno..which I hope to acquire next week...interesting note on stressing the plants. Also noted that you give them plenty of potting room (large pots) is this the way to go give them lots of room??

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b

Most chillies are easy to grow. For germinating them they prefer the temperature to be closer to 70F but can cope with 60F (will take longer to germinate with a chance they may rot before germinating).

Once they have started growing they don't need anything special to keep them doing well. Regular watering and, once the flowers have formed, a regular feed (once a week) will get them producing well. I just use a basic tomato feed so feed them when I'm feeding the tomatoes.

One thing I have read is that peppers like to be stressed, I am pretty sure I read it here, After I planted them I started picking the tops off. I randomly pluck leaves off too. I have been feeding them black cow compost from home depot (my compost pile is almost there. :)).

Stressing them has shown (though no scientific research has been done) that the chillies can become hotter under stress. Although taking off leaves is not the way to stress them. The recommended way is to hold back on watering until the leaves droop a bit. Don't do this until the pods are already becoming a nice red colour - and don't do it too often.

2 Naga Morich, I have read these plants can produce hundreds of peppers

Naga Morich can produce a lot of peppers, as can a lot of the hot chilli varieties. I've just taken this photo from my files and is not how they are at the moment. This was taken in September.
P1210435.JPG

This is how they are at the moment - just went out to take the photos. (y)
P1340361.JPG

P1340362.JPG

The origin of these type of chillies is a State in India called Nagaland. Lots of the other very hot varieties of this, including Bhut Jolokia, are grown and it is disputed whether some of them are the same variety or whether they have been cross bred properly with other types. It doesn't really matter from the public point of view as long as they're hot and tasty.

Surprisingly, a lot of us Brits are chilli enthusiasts and they have a lot of chilli festivals all round the country. I love chillies and have crossbred my own variety - not the Naga style. Some of you may know, it has been mentioned on here before, that we open our garden for charity - just one weekend a year. We sell a lot of home bred plants when we open the garden and it includes chillies.

Most of the Naga chillies are grown to order - for the Bangladeshi community around here. Our own hybrids are popular with the people that come to the garden. They're hot (not Naga hot) and have been bred to produce a lot of small chillies.
P1340358.JPG

P1340363.JPG

P1340366.JPG

They can be ornamental as well.
P1170881.JPG

We also grow a few other varieties
P1340365.JPG

As chillies are perennials, in the right conditions, you can overwinter them. They don't like a temperature below 50F but if you can keep them warm during the winter they can continue to produce well into the winter. You would need to give them a rest and prune them back during the winter so that they can pick up in Spring and not get too straggly. The main problem with over wintering them (we bring them into the house) is that they are prone to whitefly in those conditions. We don't bother anymore but this is a picture of a three year old plant that we brought in during the winter.

280_8048.JPG

Ask a Question