Carolina Reaper or another kind of pepper??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
So earlier this year i grabbed a packet of supposed Carolina Reaper hot peppers online and planted them, it took about 4 weeks to germinate but it started to grow. the peppers had a hard time growing due to the weird weather and hurricanes in the eastern part of the US. I was about to give up on them until I got my grow tent set up and placed them inside, since then they have been booming with flowers and peppers. However I noticed something off, they had the tail of a Reaper pepper but as they grew some of them started to turn a brown hue. I tried to see if they were rotting but they still seemed firm and looked more like a pigment. I was wondering if the peppers are actually a "chocolate" type of hot pepper or if they are in fact Carolina Reapers and if all Reapers are red colored or if there is some variation to that pepper.
20161226_141722.jpg
20161226_141731.jpg
20161226_141805.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What you have is a variety called Chocolate Carolina Reaper. Some think it is caused by a recessive gene but so far no proof has been found. Most growers try to separate the chocolates from the reds and so far the seeds from the chocolates remain true. Please send us a video of you eating one of these peppers.:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
What you have is a variety called Chocolate Carolina Reaper. Some think it is caused by a recessive gene but so far no proof has been found. Most growers try to separate the chocolates from the reds and so far the seeds from the chocolates remain true. Please send us a video of you eating one of these peppers.:D

sweet so it is a carolina reaper. does that mean it is a pepper that is very uncommon and if so i guess that means i got lucky to have a neat variety of the pepper. I will have to get up the courage to eat one of them whole though, i took just a small tiny nibble off of a younge one and it still set my mouth on fire XD

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
sweet so it is a carolina reaper. does that mean it is a pepper that is very uncommon and if so i guess that means i got lucky to have a neat variety of the pepper. I will have to get up the courage to eat one of them whole though, i took just a small tiny nibble off of a younge one and it still set my mouth on fire XD
Chocolates started being noticed in 2012 and growers have been growing them ever since so they are not uncommon. In fact some seed catalogs sell the seeds.

Come on and don't be shy. Just take a big bite and after your cardiac arrest let us know its flavor.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Chocolates started being noticed in 2012 and growers have been growing them ever since so they are not uncommon. In fact some seed catalogs sell the seeds.

Come on and don't be shy. Just take a big bite and after your cardiac arrest let us know its flavor.

I will be sure to post here when I do I will just have to make sure i have something with high fat content to give myself some relief from it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
well I tried the pepper, one of the more mature ones and i can say that half a gallon of milk and a dozen sugar cookies later that that was one of the hottest peppers i have tried i did not even bite the whole pepper off and i was a mess. seems like it would be good for chili though

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A fully ripened Carolina Reaper is supposed to be the hottest pepper in the world. I am a cowardly wuss. Habenero's are too much for me and they are 1/4 as hot as CR's

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I boosted about my tolerance for spicy foods...until I tried one of these. It hurts just thinking about it

well it did hurt quit a bit surprisingly not at first though got worse as time went on

Ask a Question