Hello from North Carolina, US

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I am so glad that i found this forum. I am completely new to gardening and landscaping, however bought a house a couple of years ago with LOTS of nice landscaping opportunities.

We have a swimming pool in our backyard, and would love to create a nice tropical look. Of course that is not very easy considering where we are located.

Below was my first attempt at a project. I think it turned out okay, however unfortunately we had a week long hard freeze, and it took out the Sago palms. I think I will try again this year, and get them planted early (did it around August last year), and make sure to cover them up during freezing temps. My goal it to make it all the way around the rest of the fence this year. (the new fence definitely makes it look nicer too!)

I have lots of questions and I look forward to learning from some more well-seasoned gardeners, thanks for having me!

image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. A bit of advice - forget the Sago Palms. They are too fussy and not cold hardy at all. We lost several to freezes living south of Tampa in Florida. If you really want a palm, go with the Sabal or cabbage palm. The do well in South Carolina so it may survive in Fayetteville’s climate. There are many cold hardy ferns that can give a tropical look to a yard that you may like too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thanks for the welcomes, and the advice! Guess I need to think about giving up on the Sagos and leave them to containers, dang!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm in NC too. Looks like you're going for a similar look as me with some tropicals. What is the the plant in the far back corner in your second photo? It's spikey and next to the bushes?

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @pharming welcome to this forum.

My advice is don't try to grow anything that's not suitable for your area. Also plan things out before you do anything, look around your neaghbours and see what they are growing.:)

Emma

Recreational bird watcher and novice gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hi there! I am also in NC. :) Your yard looks great so far!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm in NC too. Looks like you're going for a similar look as me with some tropicals. What is the the plant in the far back corner in your second photo? It's spikey and next to the bushes?
The plant you are inquiring about is a Yucca, either Yucca aloifolia or Yucca gloriosa.

Ask a Question