IMG_0585.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Whoa! No wonder the woman in Sussex said they did a little show and suddenly, chilli growing exploded in the gardening world.. literally ..

Love your chillies - in various guises and look very healthy and hot! @GardenStateGardner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Bootsy, do you do this for a living? I will post updated pics of my peppers tonight.

No, I've been retired for all of this century :D It's just a hobby. (y)

I eat a lot of chillies and we grow chillies, and lots of other plants, for ourselves and for sale for charity. We also open our garden to the public, for charity, once a year (just one and a half days) and sell chilli plants amongst all the many plants we sell. We raised nearly $7,000 this year. That includes the sale of plants to people after the event - such as the Nagas I sold yesterday to some of the Bangladeshi community.

Your chillies are doing very well. Although there are over 2,000 recorded types of chillies there are nowhere near that amount of different families of chillies. A lot of them are just hybridised from others. For example: the Nagas I showed above are really the same family as the Naga Morich (Morich, in Bengali, means pepper or chilli), the Bhut Jolokia, Trinidad Scorpion and Carolina Reaper that you're growing.

Geography and botany lesson:- :LOL: :ROFLMAO:
The name, Naga, is supposed to have originated in Nagaland, a State in India on the border of Burma. The Naga chilli is most popular in Bangladesh whose border is only about 50 miles from Nagaland (divided by the bottom edge of Assam). It is also very popular in West Bengal (the other side of Bangladesh). Bangladesh used to be part of West Bengal.

We were travelling through that area only last year (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Whoa! No wonder the woman in Sussex said they did a little show and suddenly, chilli growing exploded in the gardening world.. literally ..

Hi @alp The Naga hit the headlines some years ago when a company in Dorset (Sea Spring Seeds) produced a hybrid, called the Dorset Naga, that broke the world record for the hottest chilli (since been broken again by other hybrids). The place is just down the road from @zigs at West Bexington. The Eden Project have been making a good display of Naga chillies.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
No wonder my friend's son tried to grow his chillies - must be their bragging rights.. You know what happened to his chillies - mum went on holiday and asked me to look after them and then refused to take them back.. Now, I have one bearing fruits on my raised bed.. I might pickle them.

From watching the programmes, I think they are from the south. So now chillies are men's pet talk subject.. I really enjoyed watching James Wong grind and bear eating hot chillies. ..

Last edited:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I know Michael from Sea Springs personally, go round for a cuppa occasionally :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Been asked to grow these for a lovely Welsh girl who brought them from her home country :)

DSCI0001 (12).JPG

She's got no garden where she's living now, invited her round to have a look at my plot :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Although the Nagas are even hotter when they're red they are tastier when green.

The Indians and Bangladeshis always eat them when they're green. If they turn red they then make Naga pickle with them.

I sell the plants to their community. Two more plants ready for delivery
P1350328.JPG

P1350332.JPG

And these are my own Hybrids (bred for heat but to be small, prolific and ornamental). They eat better red but can be eaten at any stage.

P1350326.JPG

Ask a Question