Could this be a fig tree in North Carolina

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
9A994921-050B-4BA6-91D6-40AB2A8A1CEC.jpeg
Last year this tree was almost dead so I cut it back, fertilized it and got the weeds away from the roots. I watered it this spring and it sprouted leaves a few weeks ago. It flowered a week or two ago and today it looks as if there is fruit on it. It looks sort of like a fig but I didn’t know figs could grow this far north.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
View attachment 35191 Last year this tree was almost dead so I cut it back, fertilized it and got the weeds away from the roots. I watered it this spring and it sprouted leaves a few weeks ago. It flowered a week or two ago and today it looks as if there is fruit on it. It looks sort of like a fig but I didn’t know figs could grow this far north.
Nope, not a fig. It's either a peach or nectarine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck. That is great news since my wife and I are not big fig fans.
Hopefully it is a nongrafted peach. If a nectarine or grafted peach and was cut down below the graft all you have is garbage. But, if its a nongrafted peach and growing on its on roots you might have something special.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hopefully it is a nongrafted peach. If a nectarine or grafted peach and was cut down below the graft all you have is garbage. But, if its a nongrafted peach and growing on its on roots you might have something special.

I didn’t see a graft but the tree was poorly planted. It is growing about 20 degrees from vertical and was planted too deep. There are some entire sections that have died which leads me to believe the tree roots weren’t adequately filled in when planted and it obviously wasn’t staked to prevent wind movement. I will keep working on it this summer and if it produces good fruit I will let it grow. If not it will become wood for the smoker or bonsai material.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Chuck is right. Fig leaves are not like that. Even the fruit looks like a peach to me.

upload_2018-4-17_6-59-45.jpeg

Fig leaves..

Ask a Question