Fig in pot dropping leaves mid season

Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
My fig tree started looking pretty unhappy lately, wilting leaves and dropping some eventually.

I thought the conditions are exactly what figs like. Sunniest June and July on the record so far and temperatures reaching 90s.

I water it sparingly fearing root rot but after the leaves started wilting I increased the cadence to every other day.

What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• 20230715_194101.jpg
    20230715_194101.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Country
Australia
The hot sun on the pot, soil and roots could be the problem. Not many plants like a hot root run.
Try shading the pot or putting it inside a bigger pot with wet straw or paper between the two pots. Keep up the watering they are very thirsty.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Always very gently tip the plant out of the pot and make sure you are not over or under-watering when you are not sure. When you look at the roots if the plant root has filled up the container it may be time to up-pot.

What determines the timing of up-potting into larger pots is the watering frequency. If you have to water everyday you may want to increase the pot size by 2 inches. After up-potting the watering frequency will be every 3 days instead of every day.

Also when you water, be sure not to water with a lot of runoff because you are washing out the nutrients. When you use alot of water you can flush the good stuff out of the pot.

Ask a Question